Should I even consider breast implants since I have had vaginal irritation using silicone toys and silicone-based lube?

Breast implants and silicone

Thank you for your question. Best is to see a specialist and get tested to make sure if you are allergic to sillicon. If you are, then you should'nt get implants as all implants have some silicone, even the saline implants have a silicone shell. Good luck!

I would recommend that you see an allergist for testing. Silicone allergies are extremely rare. It is possible that you are having sensitivities to the lubrication products or that your toys and/or lube contain other chemical ingredients like latex.

Should I even consider breast implants since I have had vaginal irritation using silicone toys and silicone-based lube

Thank you for your question. If you have a documented allergy to silicone I recommend not to have silicone and saline implants to avoid potential problems. You can try and ask immunology or allergist to test for real silicone allergy, this will definitely give the results. Good Luck

Thank you for your excellent question. If you have noticed, or been tested, for a silicone allergy it would be best to avoid implants of any kind so as to not create a potentially dangerous reaction.  Because saline implants have a silicone shell these would not be advisable either.  Hope this helps.

Do breast implants contain any silicone?

This is a great question?  The answer is yes, the shell of the implant is composed of a solid silicone polymer.  The inside of some implants also contain silicone gel.  If you have an allergy or an intolerance to silicone than you should NOT have breast implants, even the implants filled with saline, as the shell would still be a problem.  It is very unusual to be allergic to silicone since it is a naturally occurring compound found in antacids, dirt, and used as an anti-foaming agent in beer.  Perhaps a visit to a local allergist for testing to determine if you really have an allergy to silicone is in order.  All breast implants do NOT contain any LATEX, which is a much more common allergy.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon