High Blood Pressure and Tummy Tuck

Hi I will like to know if having High Blood pressure will stop me from having my TT done?. At my pre-op my pressure was 175/106 I was on med's for blood pressure but my primary Dr took me off saying I don't need them any more. I still get head ache an I take over the counter med's for it and try to rest when it last more than 3-4 hours. My PS ask my to visit my primary Dr before surgery for him to clear me, my surgery is 08/06/10.

Attempt better BP control prior to electinve surgery.

Your blood pressure should be under better control prior to elective surgery. It can lead to an increased risk of bleeding but more importantly it could be linked to a more serious heart condition.

Take care of yourself by controlling your blood pressure

You should first control your blood pressure! Uncontrolled blood pressure leads to vision problems, heart failure, stroke and kidney failure. Take care of your total health before focusing on cosmetic improvements. Good luck. Dre EE

High Blood Pressure and Tummy Tuck

First, you might consider changing primary care physicians.  Clearly you have high blood pressure and once you do it's incredibly rare to be taken off of the meds.  Occosionally this can occur if say it's due to obesity and you lose the weight.  But for the most part once on the meds, always on the meds.

From a surgical standpoint high blood pressure will usually result in excessive bleeding and often hematoma formation.  This then leads to tissue breakdown, infection, wound dehiscence, a bad result or any number of other complications.  I do not operative on hypertensive patients.  I insist that their blood pressure be well controlled for at least 4 weeks.  Do yourself a favor and get your pressure under control.

Corrected Hypertension is NOT a contraindication for Tummy Tuck

Regarding: Will "having High Blood pressure will stop me from having my TT done?. At my pre-op my pressure was 175/106 I was on med's for blood pressure but my primary Dr took me off saying I don't need them any more." .

Cosmetic Surgery is "I WANT Surgery" NOT "I NEED Surgery". It is not needed to save your life nor to improve function and it is NEVER emergent. (No had has ever had to be rushed to the OR for a STAT Facelift or Breast Augmentation). For this reason, we need to be careful not to take unneeded risks with Cosmetic Surgery patients.

ALL medical conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes etc) need to be defined and brought under control BEFORE surgery.

Your Plastic surgeon is right in having you see your internist before he operates on you.

Control you blood pressure

Your blood pressure is too high and you need to be on medication to control it. You need good primary care and blood pressure meds.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck and High Blood Pressure

Your concerns are justified.  Any medical issues should be investigated and treated prior to cosmetic surgery.  The high blood pressure during your pre-surgical visit may be related to "white coat syndrome," which is anxiety from visiting a medical facility, or from the impending procedure.

Your plastic surgeon's advice of "clearance" from your primary physician is appropriate, and questions about the high blood pressure and whether or not it should be more aggressively treated before tummy tuck are best addressed to the primary physician.

Hope this helps,

Steve Laverson, MD

Steve Laverson, MD

Elective Surgery & Hypertension

You should not undergo a tummy tuck or any elective surgery with a blood pressure of 175/106.  You would be at a significant increased risk of bleeding as well as other complications.  If your primary care doctor feels this does not not treatment, you might consider a second opinion.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

High blood pressure and tummy tuck?

Hello! Thank you for your question! There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Hypertension is one that is known to have an increased risk during a procedure. There are a number of both systemic and local host factors that can contribute to high blood pressure. Hypertension itself is not a true contraindication to having any surgical procedure, but it should always be controlled. Risks that coincide with high blood pressure, such as coronary artery disease, pulmonary issues, varicosities, etc. can certainly be worrisome as the risk for other issues including MI, stroke, etc. can be severe. Complications such as bleeding and postoperative hematomas may be increased and hemostasis obtained well.

That being said, well-controlled high blood pressure should equate a minimal increased risk for the above and surgical procedures still safe and a reasonable decision. You should ensure adequate blood pressure control always, but also obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a baseline level prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD