I Have a High Scar After Tummy Tuck Can I Redo It? (photo)

I had my procedure done in 2005 and its really high I have gain weight since my procedure i was wondering if I can redo it now..

Anchoring sutures

Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lowering Scar after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

As you can imagine, in person examination would be necessary to determine the degree of skin laxity present. Given the length of time since your operation, it is very likely that revisionary surgery will be helpful in lowering the scar. Seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss further.

Hi scar

Based on hwat I see I think your scar can be lowered to satisfy your needs.You may want your muscles tighttened as well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Scar too high?

Frankly, your scar does not seem particulary high to me.  But, if you want to try to lower it, your photos suggest that there is enough skin laxity to be able to bring it down some.  As has been suggested previously, have your marking done in the type of unergarment you hope to wear, so your surgeon can do the best he/she can to give you the result you want.

Scar revision after tummy tuck

Scar revisions usually work pretty well: the theory is that a small insult to the body (removing some scarred skin) causes less inflammation than the original injury (tummy tuck) leading to less scarring.

Puckers, dimples, and other contour irregularities can be corrected, as can scar location.  Review with your surgeon exactly what you are expecting.  In my practice I have patients bring in their favorite underwear or bathing suit bottoms to help plan scar location.

High Scar After Tummy Tuck

You will get a better answer at an in person consultation.

It looks like you have enough excess to lower the scar some. This really needs a hands on exam to determine how much lower with a lower abdominal tuck the scar could be made. If there is enough to do a full tummy tuck the scar could be made low enough to please anyone, but I don't think there is enough for that. 

Other alternatives can be discussed with a plastic surgeon.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.