Why is it fat when I sit but skinny while I'm standing post Lipo 12 areas? (photos)

1 month post op

Unhappy result following liposuction

Your photos demonstrate a great liposuction result.  Unfortunately, liposuction doesn't tighten your skin envelope.  Talk with your surgeon about your options.  

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Scrunching skin together

When we sit, our skin on our abdomen is pushed together, creating laxity in a perceived weakend subcutaneous fat layer. This is most often a concern for women who have some skin laxity from pregnancy and then had liposuction. It's generally a lesser issue after procedures like abdominoplasties.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Why is it fat when I sit but skinny while I'm standing post Lipo 12 areas?

That is NOT fat but the excess skin residual following any liposuction. Best to discuss with your surgeon. 

Fat when I sit

This is due to the fact that as you sit the loose skin will bunch up and when you stand it will straighten out.This is normal.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.  When sitting we assume a posture where our hips are flexed, our waist bent forward, and shoulders rounded.  This causes "extra skin" on the front of our abdomen compared to when we stand upright.  Some of this extra skin is then stretched upward by our chest and shoulders being pulled back, and stretched downwards by our legs and hips extending.  This is a normal, and common, finding.  Speak to your liposuction surgeon, they will be able to provide you with further reassurance.    

Liposuction posture

When you sit you compress yourself into a ball of sorts and you look fatter.  When you stand you are stretched out and look thinner.  This is normal.  My Best, Dr C