Breast augmentation, not sure if silicone or saline. What's the best opinion? (Photo)

im 5'5 weight 150 age 21 im looking to be a D34 im currently a B34

Silicone vs. Saline

Assuming you have enough native breast tissue to cover the implants, and you are over 22 years old, you might go either way. Without adequate soft tissue coverage, the lateral rippling of saline implants may be a giveaway to the augmentation.

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend that you wait until you are 22 years old, so that silicone is an option. I think that silicone feels more natural and has a decreased risk of wrinkling and rippling. Best of luck!

Implant type - Saline or Silicone?

The answer depends upon many factors. If you are under 22, then saline is currently your only option. However, after age 22, silicone implants are available. The choice between saline and silicone differs in cost, implant surveillance, feel, and weight. Saline implants are great options when the implant is going to be difficult to feel, the size increase is modest, and the patient does not wish to "monitor" the implant for a sign of rupture. Silicone implants work better in patients when the implant is a majority of the breast volume, the softer feel is necessary, or if a patient is looking for a "shaped" implant for a more natural appearance. The best advice is to consult with more than one board certified plastic surgeon and discuss how each implant would benefit you. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hi. Today I use more than 99% silicone cohesive gels. IMHO they are much better and feel more natural. Saline implants are notorious for rippling or wrinkling where the implant is palpable and or visible. 

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the"land of breast implants", Miami, for the past 29 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up. Dr. PG

Get personal advice from one or more plastic surgeons

There are various features to gel and saline implants that are probably best communicated between the patient and surgeon during a personal visit.  Plastic surgeons study those features and develop comfort with certain devices over others.  If you talk to more than one surgeon, you will probably get at least some difference in opinion. Ask questions and talk until you are comfortable with your understanding of the implants and the details of the operation, the risks, and what you can reasonably expect. Ask the surgeon why one device may be a better choice for you.  Don't hesitate to talk to more than one surgeon if you are not sure after one visit. I echo the information that you must be 22 to even consider gel implants, but it could be worth the wait. I hope you have a great experience. 

Jeffrey G. Copeland, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Both are good choices

Your goals help determine what to choose as does your budget. I think each can do a great job. So many decisions are made by the doctor you choose so make sure you are comfortable with your consultation process. Good luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation, not sure if silicone or saline. What's the best opinion?

I use only Cohesive Gel implants in my practice. They feel and look more natural. Saline implants can eventually deflate.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation, not sure if silicone or saline. What's the best opinion? (Photo

There are many types of silicone and saline implants available
I prefer the smooth round moderate  plus  cohesive gel ,and the adjustable saline implants.

Either should l give you a good result. Then advantage of saline is the post operative adjustability

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Saline vs silicone

All things being equal silicone is by far the better choice however you have a fair amount of breast tissue so you could go with saline which would be less expensive.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Gel or saline breast implants. Is there one best?

There are no perfect implants.  From your photos I would expect a nice result from either devise.  It is important to be familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of both in order to make an informed decision.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon