First breast augmentation. Is this normal? Please help! (photo)

I had surgery last August 5. I chose 350cc under the muscle. Two days after I went to the clinic to pick up the implants warranty cards and I found out the doctor put 450ccs. Tomorrow it will be a week since the surgery and I still have a burning sensation and a sharp pain on my left breast near the sternum. I went back to the clinic last Wednesday and the doctor said its normal. My right breast does not hurt at all. Apart from this, both implants are sitting very high. Please help me. Thanks

Changes on photos are typically present 1 week after submuscular BA

The photos you have provided are typical of the high riding position of submuscular breast implants found in the first weeks after surgery.  These will descend gradually into position in the ensuing months.  The sharp pain you describe in one breast is common and likely secondary to small nerves which are stretched and irritated.  This too will subside.  As to your implant size, 450cc instead of requested 350cc, this is a discussion you must have with your surgeon to resolve.  Otherwise, your early postoperative progress and symptoms are expected and typically found following submuscular BA. 

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

First breast augmentation. Is this normal? Please help!

Thank you for your question and photographs. You are still very early in your recovery period, and your breasts will undergo significant changes as your implants drop, and the overlying tissues relax to accommodate the extra volume. This normally starts 4-6 weeks after surgery, but may take longer with larger implant placement.  Burning sensations are often the result of nerve irritation due to the swelling of your breasts with surgery, and this typically resolves, but may take several weeks to months.  Hang in there, and give your results a few months to mature, things appear to be healing well.

Breast implant settling over time and breast pain after breast augmentation

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that,it is common to have implants settle at different rates over different periods of time. They will remain high for at least a few weeks If your pre-existing anatomy has your breast creases or breast folds at different positions, they implants will settle to different places. So your preoperative anatomy has a lot to do with a final result. You are still early so give it some more time. It may take 2-4 months to really see where you are.

Best wishes

Normal healing

Yes! It is normal to have pain after surgery. It is also normal to have swelling after surgery. The swelling will last up to 3 months usually. good luck

First breast augmentation. Is this normal?

Greetings. Based on the information provided, you are still early in the postoperative period.  There will continue to be changes, and the implants will drop over time. Also follow the postoperative instructions from your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Ravinder Jarial, DO

1 week post op

Thank you for the question and photos. At one week post op, pain and burning or tingling sensations are normal. It is not uncommon to have different sensations in each breast and one that hurts a little more than the other. Share your concerns or any changes with your Plastic Surgeon. You will likely have to wait a few months to see dropping and softening of the breasts.

Take care

Pain post aug

Since you are only a week or so post op I would be patient.they will drop and you can wear a bra strap over the top of your breasts to get them to settle down more and some gentle massage.For now be patient.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pain and asymmetry after augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  I agree with the previous comments that it is early after surgery and it's not uncommon not only for the implants to take 4 to 6 weeks to drop but also for them to drop at different rates.  Sometimes massaging the implant on the high side, ice packs can help with descent and the discomfort.  While the nerves may be stretched, the left breast does look larger from the frontal view.  You might just check with your doctor to make sure you don't have a hematoma or a collection of blood around the implant.   

Steven E. Ozeran, MD
Lewiston Plastic Surgeon

Implants riding high

It takes 4 - 6 weeks for the implants to drop and your post says that you are at about a week?  The burning sensation is from stretching of the nerves and division of the muscle which is normal at this stage.

John Burns, MD

Appears as larger breast result and I believe there was a reason for using larger implants that either you are not relating or the surgeon decided during surgery??? Pain issues can be addressed in in person second opinions consultations. Other issue is the concept of using a "clinica" vs a private practice boarded PS.