Grafted hairs loss due testosterone therapy. I could use some help.

8 years ago, I got about 5500 FUT grafts. Two years ago I went on TRT. I thought grafted hairs were resistant to DHT so the TRT shouldn't affect them. However, my grafted hairs have been falling out. I have been off TRT for a year and my grafted hairs are still falling out. Could someone explain this? If I get a new transplant, would those hairs be permanent or fall out too? Also, if hairs shed does that necessarily mean that one is balding? do hairs naturally shed, but not necessarily bald?

Thank you for your question.To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Shedding of hair and DHT

As long as the transplanted hairs came from the “permanent donor zone”, they should be resistant for the most part from falling out as a result of DHT.  Keep in mind that on average a normal person loses 50 to 100 hairs a day.  Previously when they placed hair grafts into your recipient area there were likely a few miniaturized hairs left in the recipient zone.  It is likely these few hairs that were in the recipient zone were programmed to fall out anyway (shock loss) over time once the new grafts were placed.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is not 100% true that all hairs from the the "safe" donor area are resistant to DHT and will continue to miniaturize after a transplant. However you do need to realize that 100-150 hairs "fall out" every day during a normal hair cycle. This cycle of hair falling out and being replaced is not the cause of baldness but just a system of normal hair growth.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Testosterone therapy

This causes hair loss and this is well known. You may not be able to get the hair you lost back.Check with your doctor

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

TP and testosterone use

Powder02,Hair transplanted from the permanent donor zone should not be affected by TRT. However, some people do have some miniaturization in the donor area. In the individual with miniaturization in the donor area, I would advice caution with TP. These patients may go on to have thinning donor area, hence thinning transplant. This will be increased in the individuals using TRT.Sincerely,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

TRT and Hair

We have definitely seen TRT affecting hairs whether they are the previously existing hair or grafted ones. I would be very cautious with TRT unless your doctor recommends it for you. Your best bet is a FUE procedure as this will be more natural looking and scarless along with cessation of TRT. We are always here were you to need additional information.

Ben Talei, MD

In general transplanted hair is not affected by testosterone or DHT. If you believe it is an issue it is best to

In general transplanted hair is not affected by testosterone or DHT.  If you believe it is an issue it is best to follow up with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon