What type of acids to apply? (Photo)

Hi I recently had my first Microdermabrasion, and Technician suggested I apply Lactic Acid to hydrate and prevent peeling...The issue is , my face feels somewhat sandy and not peeling at all.. So to shed dead skin cells isn't it suppose to shed.. Also what type of AHA should I apply w the Microdermabrasion for best results. Thank you Mari. S

Microdermabrasion post treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

After microdermabrasion skin is expected to get dry and eventually peel. Do not pick it yourself, it will start peeling. Lactic acid is a good moisturizer and it should be used in accordance with your skin, ask your provider what percentage of AHA is good for your skin. Those with higher percentage of acid are applied once per week while lower end percentage AHA acid moisturizers can be applied daily. Good luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Microdermabrasion

Microdermabrasion is a very superficial treatment and does leave the skin a little dry temporarily.  Lactic acid is a good moisturizer and in the future for smoothness use glycolic acid products available from many sources

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist