I'm 36 y.o., 165 lbs. I'm interested in Mommy Makeover. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am beginning to look into my options for a mommy make over. I am 5 years post gastric bypass which has left me with the excess belly skin and sagging breast Although I have been weight training for over a year and a half. I am currently at 165 pounds . Would additional weight loss give me better results? Also, which type breast augmentation and type of implants would prove better for someone who lifts weights and intends to build more muscle mass?

Congratulations you can tell you've been working diligently

Congratulations you can tell you've been working diligently!! Information that would be helpful to know is your height, or BMI, the amount of weight you lost, breast cup size and if you've had children or not. Of course,we  collectively, as plastic  surgeons, can only give you a generalized idea of how to proceed without  discussing with you in detail, your desires, goals and  a thorough examination. From the limited  amount of information you provided it sounds like an addominoplasty would be warranted, there could be some modification depending on your exam. Many options are available for your breast including lift alone,  lift with augmentation and don't forget you could have breast lift and  fat grafting especially if you believe big breasts are over rated and would not like implants  interfering with your weightlifting,(animation deformity)  Most often after gastric bypass, my patient's desire  a lift with augmentation. There is no perfect implant, there are pluses and minuses of each one, too numerous to mention here.  I would  definitely recommend a silicone over a saline implant, then  we would have to choose between the choices of smooth versus textured versus textured anatomical  based  mainly on your anatomy.
Good luck on your adventure!!   My only other advice to you is please  seek the advice of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover and Breast Implants For Active Athlete

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

Each implant have their benefits. #SalineImplants is made with a #silicone outer shell that is filled with saline water during the surgery. It is filled with sterile saline (salt-water). Since saline is like normal body fluid, it is safe and easily absorbed if the implants were to leakThe #implant shell is ordered in a specified size which can be filled to a minimum or maximum fill amount. This allows the plastic surgeon some flexibility with sizing during surgery. Often times a woman has breasts which vary slightly in size. If one breast is slightly smaller than the other, each implant can be filled to a different amount to create better symmetry. Saline tends to be a little less natural feeling than silicone, but it can also create a more dramatic upper breast appearance, which some women prefer. A new saline breast implants option called Ideal Implant™ was recently FDA approved and was created for women who are not comfortable having silicone implants in their body, but desire a more natural feeling implant than traditional saline implants on the market. The unique structure of the Ideal Implant allows for a similar look and feel as silicone with the safety of saline. 

#SiliconeImplants are made with a silicone outer shell and are filled with a gummy-bear consistency silicone on the inside. More women tend to choose silicone breast implants due to the natural feel and appearance. Silicone implants are now made of a cohesive gel which are anti-leak even when cut. Look and feel like natural breasts due to the cohesive silicone gel material. New generation silicone gel implants are far superior than those used in the past and have a proven track record of safety. Silicone implants have gone through more testing than any other medical device and are the preferred choice for over the muscle implant placement. 
To further ensure the safety, the FDA recommends women have periodic MRI testing to ensure their silicone implants are free from any defects. With both implant types there are choices 
#Shaped implants are all #textured and should not rotate when used properly. In my practice, about 20% of the patients benefit from shaped implants. Your Plastic Surgeon needs to measure you and determine the best shape and size of any implants that are used.

Furthermore, a Breast Lift with the Implants may be something to consider. Getting #BreastImplants without a #BreastLift is usually said to be mistake by many patients who reflect back on the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

Other factors which contribute to the outcome are size, shape, and profile. The #profile is determined by the amount of #projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the #size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile. Another element to a satisfying result of your #augmentation is realistic #expectations.Talk to your surgeon at greater length and be sure to view before and after pictures and reviews beforehand to gain more reassurance of the procedure.

Mommy Makeover

Without seeing pictures of your areas of concern, it is hard to tell what the best approch would be in your case. Best advice - look around for a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in cosmetic surgery. Go in for consultations. Look at before and after photos of previous patients. Select a plastic surgeon you are comfortable with who will take great care of you and has the talent to deliver the results you are looking for.

Good luck!
Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Post weight loss Mommy Makeover

Thanks for your questions and congratulations on your success.  Your photos are not of help in determining what procedure(s) would help you however in general after substantial weight loss most patients need a full tummy tuck and a breast lift with placement of implants.  You of course may be an exception so it's important to have a face-to-face discussion with at least one Bd Certified plastic surgeon (ABPS and member of ASAPS).  The biggest mistake I see people make is to try to get back to the gym too quickly and not allow sufficient healing time (please keep this in mind).
You will also need to consider placement of your breast implants above the muscle assuming that upper body lifting is important to you. Your surgeon will assess the thickness of your breast tissue and what the relative merits of each type of implant is. 
Best of luck to you....

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Loose skin after gastric bypass

Thank you for asking about your body lifting after gastric bypass.

• Good for you for keeping the weight off after gastric bypass - well done!
  • If you are stable and at the weight you want, there is no need to lose more weight.
  • Breast augmentation and implants will depend on the looseness of your skin and the size of implants you want.
  • Generally implants over the muscle are better fr weight lifters - but you need an examination to know if this is the right approach for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Best implants for a body builder

Thanks for your pictures.  For a person who is a body builder I would recommend an implant placed above the muscle.  It is best for your to have an in-person consultation with several board certified plastic surgeons.

Mommy Makeover

You receive more satisfying answers in person during a consultation. Given your history you need tailoring of the skin and staff tissue to fit your new shape and size. Abdominal procedures include tiny tuck, mini tummy tuck, and complete tummy tuck. Breast procedures include a lift plus or minus an implant. A smooth round moderate plus profile silicone implant is very commonly used with excellent results. Hope all this helps. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover

I appreciate your question.
Congrats on the weight loss. You will most benefit from skin excision for the saggy skin. 
As for the breast, you will most likely need an implant to fill out the loose skin, but may also benefit from a lift. 
We would have to discuss the pros and cons of placing the implant below or above your muscle based on your breast tissue and your goals.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Mommy Makeover. Any suggestions?

Cogratulations on your weight loss.

Following the advice from a surgeon or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited photos, but more importantly without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and mommy makeover

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Congratulations on the weight loss.  Unfortunately, you cannot excercise loose skin.  Once your weight is stable and perhaps 6 months to a year later, your skin should be stable as well.  Loose skin will have to be removed and tightened surgically with a tummy tuck and breast lift (with or without implants).  Without photos to show these areas it's not possible to provide accurate recommendations but that is what will likely be needed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD