140lb at 4"10'. Dr just look and said i need to lose 20lb. Not sure if it's visceral fat or not? (photos)

I had my smartlipo of full abdomen 7 mo ago. I lost 7Lb since. I ask my dr why I still have protruding upper abdomen, She said its viceral fat. Recently I had another consult, he recommend TT, price high. I did another consult, has years of exp. during consult, just looking at me and asking my weight & height he said i have to lose 20lb before he do it & said its visceral. i appreciate him being frank. but upset.got 3 kids. btw when i lay flat on d bed my belly was flat.

Set reasonable expectations

I think in smartlipo cases, especially with a higher BMI, it is important to set a reasonable expection for the results.  At your height and weight,  regardless of how much fat is removed with the liposuction procedure, you will not achieve a completely fat stomach. I agree there is some visceral fat in the upper abdomen, along with muscular laxity.  In the lower abdomen there is still fat and extra skin.  Abdominoplasty with liposuction will get you closer to the results you want, but ultimately weight loss is necessary to achieve a better result.

Full tummy tuck

From these photos, you seem to be a candidate for a tummy tuck and not just liposuction. A full tummy tuck with liposuction of the waist and flanks would address your areas of concern. If you can get your weight as low as possible before surgery, the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring Surgery for a consultation. Be sure to express your expectations and goals to the surgeon your choose. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Candidate and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool, it can be used once you have had weight loss and would like fine contouring. I suggest you work on losing weight before considering any contouring procedure.  You are a tummy tuck and liposuction candidate together but not liposuction alone given the amount of loose skin you have.  Best, Dr. Emer

Everybody has visceral fat. You have a protruding belly because you have loose muscles and didn't have a tummy tuck

Your belly protrudes because you have looseness and separation of your abdominal muscles. Lipo is not an effective treatment for this condition because superficial fat is not the problem. The loose muscles are the problem and can only be fixed with a tummy tuck. You also have visceral fat and if you have too much visceral fat, the tummy tuck will not be able to create as much flatness as you want. The only way to lose visceral fat is with diet and exercise.

You do need to lose weight

you are 4 feet, 10 inches and 140 lbs. that is a significant amount overweight. I am sure that your Smartlipo was helpful but it is never a substitute for losing weight and exercise. Based on your pictures, i think a significant amount of your fat is intra-abdominal ie behind the muscle. i do not think you will benefit from a TT since your have a bowing to your upper abdomen and that will not change very much, until you lose weight.

Too many patients think of Smartlip as some magic wand but it is just a great tool to help you get a great body contour. My best results, like everyone else, are in those patients, who use Smartlipo as a catalyst to change their lifestyle and get a much better diet and increase their exercising.

you need to take on more responsibility if you want to get a great result.
good luck,

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon