I'm just wondering if propecia is working or making it worse as I just had a hair transplant? (photos)

Hello I recently had a hair transplant on my crown, this was my 2nd procedure as the first one wasn't successful for some reason? The transplant was carried out on the 20th of April 2015 And i started Propecia end of November 2014 I'm shedding a lot now and my hair has gone really thin is this due to propecia working or shock loss due to the transplant? Shall I carry on with it as I'm still pulling out hair even if I just run my fingers through I pull hair out Please help me Thank you

I'm just wondering if propecia is working or making it worse as I just had a hair transplant?

Thank you for your question.  The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Follow up with your doctor

Follow up with your doctor and follow your doctor's recommendations.  It generally takes 6 to 12 months to see results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Propecia after a hair transplant

Shedding after a hair transplant while on the drug propecia is unusual. I doubt it is coming from the drug, but rather an acceleration of your normal hair loss process. If the shedding is in the transplanted area, the new grafts, when they grow, will off set it. If the shedding is from all over the front and top of the head it sounds like shock loss which usually accelerates the hair loss that you might have seen two years after a hair transplant had you not been on the drug. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern with acceleration of your hair loss, which a Bulk Measurements with the HAIRCHECK instrument can provide, it will show over a one year time frame, what exactly is your hair loss (in numbers) and then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN for what may happen to you.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss month 1-3 post transplant

Hair loss can occur in the first months after a transplant for number of reasons. A few surrounding hairs (around the transplant area) might be damaged early on. This type of hair loss leads to the appearance of a bit thinner hair even the following few weeks. True shock loss occurs 1-3 month post transplant and is less a phenomenon of true direct damage to the surrounding hairs but a sense of physiological injury. 

All in all, early hair loss post transplant is normal and you'll see regrowth of newly transplanted hairs and the previously existing hairs in a matter of months.

Be sure to speak to your surgeon if you have any concerns. It is unlikely you are shedding from the Propecia at this point in time. That type of shedding occurs in the first 1-2 months only. 

Hair loss after Hair Transplant

Hair loss is common & normal after hair transplant during first 2-3 months after surgery. It is called Telogen Effluvium.

Please continue your medicines as advised by your doctor for proper assessment & better management.

M. Khawar Nazir, MBBS, MS(Derm)
Pakistan Dermatologist

Hair loss after transplant

your hair transplant was in April and I am  assuming that you did not have shedding before the transplant.  If your shedding started after the transplant then it is most likely from shock loss. I would continue with the propecia, add minoxidil and vitamins and  contact your doctor if you have further concerns. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon