Porcelain veneer over new crown with dental implant.

Hi I have just had my front tooth crowned with a dental implant. I had the adjacent tooth veneered and it looks so much more realistic than the crown. The veneer has a better translucency. I pointed this out to my dentist and he has suggested that we now shave off some of the new crown and veneer it. Please may i have opinions on this. thanks,

Veneer over implant crown

Porcelain veneers do have a higher translucency than crowns in general.  Veneers can match crowns very closely; especially when they are done simultaneously by and excellent cosmetic dentist and ceramicist.

I am not a fan of placing a veneer over an existing crown.  Do you know if the implant/crown has a metal substructure? (core or coping).  Also, the type of abutment (post) that is attached to the implant is important in this equation.  Is the abutment titanium or zirconia?   I would approach this issue carefully and get an expert opinion by a skilled and experienced cosmetic dentist.

Steven M. Goldy, DDS

Beverly Hills Dentist

Veneer over crown? #DrSoftTouch

This would not be the best solution. An experienced cosmetic dentist should easily be able to place a crown and a veneer side by side without a noticeable difference between the two. I would recommend having the crown replaced to achieve a better cosmetic result. I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

Veneer over crown

This is not an ideal answer to your problem. There is no guarantee that the outcome will be more aesthetic and it will be weaker. The best answer is to cut the crown off and start again.