I had 400cc high profile implants and a breast lift yesterday. There is one nipple slightly higher, right breast is larger

when my dressings were changed today, the surgeon mentioned there is one nipple slightly higher and the right breast is larger. This has alarmed me a bit obviously. Is this common and will I need a slight reduction in the other breast? I obviously don't want to go through this again. Included in the price was a lymphatic massage and to be honest, the right breast (larger one) did hurt more. Could it be just more swelling? Thank you

One Day into Post-Op Healing

Understanding the Healing Process

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the  initial surgical fee.

I would say give the positioning of your nipples and implants a little more time. However, if you find yourself concerned at all you should not hesitate to visit your surgeon for a follow-up.

Too Early To Critique

It is far too early to be critiquing your results. You have swelling that will alter how things look. Wait till the six month mark before you start critiquing the result. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Healing process

At only a day or two, it is very early in the healing process after breast augmentation/lift and some asymmetry is to be expected. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change. It can take 4-6 months to see your final results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeon for his or her evaluation and advice. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon