Hernia & tummy tuck; what do I do?

I have a gastor bypass 16months ago . dr left a hernia . he work on my liver . Where do i start . to approved by insurance

Hernia and tummy tuck

Depending upon the type of hernia, this may be repaired in conjunction with a tummy tuck. Best to be evaluated in person.

Hernia and Tummy Tuck

Typically, insurance companies will cover the hernia repair but not the TT.  If the hernia is part of the umbilicus, it can make creation of the neoumbilicus a little more tricky due to potential blood supply issues.  If the hernia is ventral or part of the fascial wall that was injured by your surgery, that can be addressed during the TT if its small or possibly as a staged procedure if it is larger and requires prosthetic material.  I would start with your bariatric surgeon as to recommendations for the hernia and go from there.

Hernia repair with tummy tuck

Thanks for your question. Most, but not all hernias can be repaired at the time of tummy tuck. Your PS will have to evaluate you and can then help to guide you. Tummy tuck is not covered by insurance.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Hernia repair

Your prior surgeon is a good start to repair the hernia. It should be covered by insurance. Cosmetic surgery such as a Tummy tuck or body lift is not covered by insurance. There are unethical doctors who falsify information to get your surgery covered and make themselves money so please be careful since ultimately you may be responsible for the bill. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

How to start arranging a tummy tuck and hernia repair with insurance

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck and hernia repair.

• I hope you are happy with the gastric bypass.
  • Depending on the size of the hernia, it may need to be repaired before having a tummy tuck.
  • This surgery should be covered by insurance.
  • The tummy tuck will not be covered by insurance.
  • Ask yuour gastric bypass surgeon to either repair your hernia or to refer you to a surgeon for evaluation for hernia repair. The surgeon will know how to start the pre-approval process for you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD