What size implant? (photos)

I have decided to finally get a chin implant as I've always hated my profile however I am finding it differcult to decide on the size. The surgeon has recommended a medium size anatomical. I have quite a small face so am worried that I will look manly or that the implant will look bulbous

Chin Implant

Thank you for your question along with your photos. Begin with a board certified plastic or facial surgeon and visit several offices. Your surgeon should help guide you to the appropriate sized implant for your face and your goals. Computer imaging will be very helpful when you are your plastic surgeon discuss sizing. This will give you a good idea of what your chin and overall profile will look like with a certain implant would be. 

Wish you all the best,

Dr. Mentz

I have decided to finally get a chin implant as I've always hated my profile however I am finding it differcult to decide on the

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  In women with the amount of chin weakness shown in your photo, I use a size small, anatomical chin implant following the aesthetic guidelines outlined in my book and shown in the attached video.  For a man, I'd use a size Medium.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant size

That is one of the most difficult decisions to make in the process of preparation for chin augmentation. There are many implant shapes and sizes and decision about particular implant should be made between you and your surgeon. Aesthetic criteria for beauty are very individual and you should be one to decide when it comes to selection of implant size and shape. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon