Will mini face lift involving lateral platysmal tightening and SMAS remove dimple close to corner of my mouth when I smile?

I am having a mini facelift for loose skin on my neck. Dr. stated he will tighten the SMAS and lateral platysmas . Little liposuction under chin too. I have a dimple when I smile close to the left corner of my mouth. Will this surgery affect my dimple?

Will a #facelift address the cheek #dimples I have?

No, a facelift will not address the dimples, as the undermining does not usually go all the way to the oral commissure.

In my practice, I often perform subcision under local anesthesia, in office, where a small knife is inserted under the tethered area (the dimple), the small attachments between skin and muscle are severed and then fillers such as restylane and juvederm are added.

This could be done at the same time as your facelift carefully.  There would be some added risk of vascular compromise, depending on the type of facelift you are getting.

Discuss your concerns and establish a plan with your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Best regards.

Facelifts Don't Affect Dimples

It's unclear from your question whether you would like to keep your dimple or lose it. A mini facelift will not detach the skin from muscle at the point of the dimple. If you wish the dimple removed, you need to request that specifically from your facial plastic surgeon. You might also need a hyaluronic-acid based filler such as Juvederm to even out the depression. I hope this helps.

Dimples

Facelift surgery does not remove dimples.  If the dimple bothers you, you could talk to your plastic surgeon to see if he can try and release the skin adhesion that is causing the dimple.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Will face-lift remove my dimple

A facelift is unlikely to remove a dimple from the corner of your mouth if it is truly a dimple and not a wrinkle.  I would definitely bring this up to your plastic surgeon before surgery.

Good luck!!

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Can a mini facelift improve the neck?

Many thanks for posting your question.

My first thought is whether a "mini" facelift can have any effect on the neck. To have a significant effect, the plastysma muscle in the neck needs to be lifted and repositioned to address the loose skin overlying it. 

A mini lift, which could mean a number of things, is usually unlikely to have much of an effect on the neck.

Finally, I doubt whether the dimple when you smile will be changed at all by the facelift.

Good luck!

Dimples and facelifts

Its unlikely the facelift will remove a dimple, if its truly a dimple (something you have had your whole life) as opposed to a wrinkle that developed with aging. The dissection will not likely extend to the corner of your mouth so again, its its a dimple, it should be there after the surgery.

Paul Wigoda, MD
painlessbreastimplants.com

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

SMAS type face lift

A mini lift involves tightening the jowls, and gives mini results. The loose skin in the neck must be tightened with a comprehensive lower face neck lift which involves tightening loose facial and neck muscles, tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening the jowls, and removal of fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in the neck. In our practice, dimples  are not removed at time of the surgery.

Will a mini face lift tighten and remove the corner of the mouth

It is nearly impossible to remove a dimple on the corner of the mouth because this is caused by smiling and muscle movement.  If you are talking about the marionette line around your mouth these should be improved.  A mini face lift can mean a lot of different things to another doctor and really is not very descriptive of what the PS is doing to tighten the area.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon