Is This a Hernia or Stomach Protrusion? Plastic Surgery Needed? (photo)

I'm a 16 year pld female. I gained 20lbs over the summer and did the 17 Day Diet and lost 14lbs. A month later I gained it all back. I then lost 8lbs and started to notice that the upper part of my stomach and the sides were poking out unusually and my stomach was hirting more. It's obcious that something is out of place. I also feel a lump. I haven't had a period since April 2011-not pregnant. Ovarian cancer runs in the family. This is ruining my life. I see the doctor in Feb but im anxious.

Doctor Answers 6

Need an immediate in person evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

On line consultation will be insufficient to provide you complete answers. Based on your description and photo, you should see a physician (preferably your primary care doctor)immediately. You can indicate to your PCP's office the degree of importance that several surgeons have voiced.  If your PCP still can not see you, proceed immediately to an urgent care center.

West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Go in today for an evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We all can't empahsize enough your need to be evaluated for this.  Do not wait til February.  There are many things that can be causing this and you will need blood tests and xrays or ultrasounds to figure this out.  Please drop whatever else you are doing and go get checked!

Go see your primary care doctor sooner rather than later

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is impossible to help you other than to tell you to go see your primary care doctor sooner rather than later.  If you are unable to see him/her until February, the consider an urgent care center.  Expect imaging tests and blood tests to be performed. Best of Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Is this a hernia, or just a weight problem?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In agreement with other responders, please do NOT wait until February!  See a physician ASAP (next day or two) and expect blood tests to be ordered including an endocrine profile, and an abdominal CT scan.  Doesn't look like a hernia to me.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Hernia or Protrusion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From all appearances on your photos it seems like the volume is intraabdominal and not a hernia. There can be several things that cause the problem. You need to see a physician that can deal with this, probably a general surgeon or a gynecologist. If you were my daughter I can guarantee I would have you evaluated yesterday. Do NOT wait until February

Ronald V. DeMars, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Abdominal wall distention/pain?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and pictures.

With your history of  abdominal wall distension and discomfort I would suggest  more urgent evaluation by your physician.  Online consultation will not suffice;  see a physician in person ASAP.

Best wishes.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.