Should I stop taking SSRIs prior to Rhinoplasty?

I have rhinoplasty scheduled in October and in preparation, I am trying to figure out to which medications and supplements will negatively effect my surgery. I am currently on two SSRIs and read that they cause excessive bleeding. Should I stop taking them prior to surgery?

Can I take SSRI's with Rhinoplasty Surgery

Dear Sarah, In my practice I keep my patients on their prescribed SSRI's and I have not had any incidents of excessive bleeding. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and the anesthesiologist and they should determine what medications/supplements you should stay on and which medications should be temporarily withheld. This is generally discussed in my practice at the pre-operative appointment several weeks prior to the scheduled procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Thank you for your question. We routinely encourage patients to stay on their SSRIs to avoid potential problems of withdrawal. I have not seen unusual bleeding associated with their use.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon and make sure that his anesthetist is aware of your use of these medications.  Enjoy your results!

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Rhinoplasty and SSRIs

In our practice, patients do not have to stop taking an SSRIs prior to a rhinoplasty procedure.  We ask patients to refrain from aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, and herbal supplements to help prevent bleeding.

You should discuss what medications, supplements, and vitamins you are taking, both prescription (including SSRI's) and over the counter, with your plastic surgeon and have him or her decide what you should and should not be taking. Your surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT). It is important to follow all pre and post-operative instructions.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon