Should I ice my nose after post rhinoplasty?

I was told at my pre-op appointment that I should not ice my nose after rhinoplasty. She said that I should not be applying any type of pressure to my nose. I feel like I've seen and heard of others icing their noses after surgery. I am wondering which is the correct method.

Post Op Rhinoplasty Care

Every surgeon has his or her own unique post op protocol so there really is now right or wrong method. Personally, I have my patients apply cool compresses and sleep with their head elevated for the first few days.  If you are concerned about your surgeon's instructions, call the office and speak with her. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

While I have my patients use ice after nasal surgery, individual surgeons have different preferences about procedures.You should check with your plastic surgeon with regard to particular post-operative recommendations and follow all of her or his instructions. The plastic surgeon should  be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or an otolaryngologist.   

Robert Singer, MD FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Should I ice my Nose after Rhinoplasty

Dear Sarah15808, In my practice I provide my patients ice packets that are to be used post rhinoplasty surgery. These are not used on the nose as you do not want to apply pressure on the splint but are used above the splint on the top of the bridge area covering both eyes. Discuss your questions with your surgeon and follow his/her post operative instructions. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Ice after rhinoplasty helps

Hello.  I always advise my patients to ice the nose for the first 24-48 hours to minimize bruising and swelling, even with a cast on.  The simplest technique is to place ice over the eyes across the nasal bridge.  Though most of us recommend this, you should consult your surgeon first since she is the one who operated on you and is responsible for your care.  Best wishes.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ice My Nose Post Rhinopasty?

Follow your surgeon's instructions but I always recommend that patients place ice packs over the eyes to minimize swelling in that area. Swelling of the nose is minimized by the presence of a cast.

Post operative rhinoplasty instructions

It is best to ask your operative surgeon, but in our practice we do not want patient's icing their nose.  The nose will be numb after the surgery and icing could cause frostbite