When does feeling in breast return?

I am a little over two months post op and have been healing great. However it's starting to bother me that I can't really feel anything in my left breast. I'll have an itch but can't itch it! My right has some feeling but I can tell it's not back to normal just yet. I want to be clear I'm not talking about nipple sensation but the breast area around (mainly under) the nipple. Thanks!!

Breast sensation after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to lose some sensation to the breast after surgery.  There are several factors that can influence the amount of numbness you have.  The type of incision, the size of the implant and even to a degree, the technique used.  Nerves regenerate and take several months to do so.  You have up to 12 or sometimes 18 months for it to recover.  

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Loss of Sensibility

The area you describe is the most common area to be affected by loss or decrease in breast skin sensibility. Although we would like to see resolution earlier than 2 months, your condition could still resolve or at least improve over the next 6 to 12 months. Any sort of dysethesias like itchiness or pins and needles are a good sign of nerve regrowth. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

When does feeling in breast return after breast augmentation?

It is normal to lose some sensation  in the cleavage area and patchy loss underneath the breast following breast augmentation.

The fact that you have an itch that you can't itch is a sign of nerve healing and is a good thing.

Fortunately you have nipple sensation loss of which would be much more serious.

Nerves heal very slowly about half an inch per month and understand  that this healing progresses from the armpit out.

It can easily take 6 months for return but the itching is a sign that your nerve is healing  and not permanently damaged.

#breastimplants #breastrevisionsurgery

Hnyznyk,

Thank you for the great question! Very common after augmentations and almost always comes back. You may feel electrical shocks or other weird sensations and those should subside as well.  Generally all comes back at 6 months.

Daniel Barrett, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Unilateral breast numbness

if you are having unilateral breast numbness, this may be a concern. However, you have not told us what you had done!

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Temporary sensation loss after breast augmentation

If you had your breast implants inserted through the fold underneath your breasts, this is common. Given that you are feeling "itch", it seems that the nerves are starting to wake up already. I know this time is frustrating, but it is temporary and should pass within the next couple of months. If it keeps you from sleeping, I often suggest trying Benadryl at night or even prescribing some Gabapentin to help with the discomfort.  

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Decreased sensation after breast surgery

Thanks for your question. I am glad to hear you are healing well after your breast surgery. It is not uncommon for patients to report decreased sensation for several months after surgery. The superficial nerves of the breasts are temporarily stunned by the surgery. The sensation returns but it can take awhile. Be patient and stay in contact with your surgeon. It can even take up to a year for nerves to fully return.

Sensation post op

Hi ~ There a lot of changes occurring in your breasts after surgery. It is not uncommon to have decreased sensation for up to 4-6 months after surgery. Most women notice that the majority of sensation returns by this point.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician