What can I do to alleviate pre surgery anxiety?

I am having rhinoplasty on October 28th. While I am super excited, I am also so anxious. I am not so much nervous about how my nose will look afterwards, but more afraid of the actual surgery. I am scared of receiving anesthesia and have a fear that I will have complications or even die while under. What can I do to alleviate this anxiety?

alleviate pre-rhinoplasty anxiety

Is probably best to sit down and have another conversation with your surgeon and their nurses to discuss a plan of action to help you deal with anxiety. In addition, it might be helpful to talk with the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery to understand the entire process.

Dear sarah15808, I would first contact your surgeons office and discuss your concerns and set up an appointment where an in depth conversation can help you understand that your fears can be normal however they are unwarranted. The anesthesiologist can meet with you to give you a better understanding regarding the procedure and the medications used and can also prescribe something for you if necessary. If it brings you any comfort I have been performing nasal procedures for thirty years and generally more then five a week as well as many other higher risk procedures and have never had a complication requiring a patient transferred from my office to a hospital. Rhinoplasty is a very safe procedure performed in an accredited operating facility with an anesthesia provider. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD