I am having some white spotting around my breast implant scars. Is that okay? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation over a year ago. My doctor went under the breast flap. My scars were very dark and keloid ish. A few months ago my doctor gave me silicon strip which worked but one of my breast started to get white light spots. I just want to know what this could be. I see my doctor next week but I am a little nervous.

Scars after breast augmentation

Hard to tell from the photo. May be a darkening of the skin after a rash. No need to worry see your PS as planned. Good luck

Scarring Post Breast Augmentation

I am glad that you have an appointment next week with your surgeon to discuss this. He or she will be able to accurately determine what is going on. In the meantime, though, there's no need to panic although you may want to call your doctor and ask if you should continue with the silicone strips since you may be having a reaction. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Scar concerns after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, I do not think you have to panic or be overly concerned. I is very good that you are going to see your PS. It does look like you have had some steroid injections for the scars?

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

In person examination of scar

There is nothing that specifically needs to be done about this right now.  It certainly can wait until you see the plastic surgeon.  An in person exam of this scar would be the only way to determine what is next.

Scar after Breast augmentation

I agree with the previous doctors. I would just wait until you see your plastic surgeon. But you may just want to stop using the silicone sheets until your follow up appointment. 

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Skin lightening after placing silicone strip

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Your photo suggests that you have milia in the skin, from using the silicone strip
  • This is not a serious condition -
  • Milia are blocked oil ducts containing skin oil. 
  • Let your surgeon know what is happening as s/he may want to see you earlier.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

I am having some white spotting around my breast implant scars. Is that okay?

In person examination is needed so to determine if operative revision of thinned scares is needed to prevent implant exposure.....

Maceration

It appears to be a bit of maceration of the skin.  This occurs when the skin is kept too moist due to excess sweating, or ointments on the skin.  Try to reduce the silicone strip use to every other day or even less, using a dry gauze or absorbent dressing in its place. Honestly the area looks well healed so you do not likely need any dressings of any sort at this point. 

Thanks for writing,
Based on your photo it is hard to tell what is going on. Your entire scar is hyperpigmented  yet one small area is not. I would recommend you contact your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I am certain, he / she will be able to help you understand your scar better.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery 

Thank you for your photograph and question.  It is not clear in your photograph where the white spots are that you are referencing, but their are a number of reasons for spots - small areas of decreased pigmentation from surgery, lightened skin from the healing process, clogged pores, etc.  Best to have an in-person evaluation performed by your surgeon.  Your picture does not look concerning for a larger problem, so it is likely something that can be easily managed.