I am looking to explant my silicone breast implants after having had them for 16 years?

They haven't ruptured as far as I am aware but I have decided to have them taken out due to possible health complications if They rupture. I have seen a surgeon who thinks its unessersary and he claims that all research into health complications due to implants is inconclusive. I have found my information from reputable sources and have learnt how dangerous they actually can be. I would really appreciate any advice and also if anyone knows of an explant specialist. Thank you

Breast Implant Removal

Thank you for your question. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who you can have access to for follow-up and can spend time with you before and after your surgery and answer all questions you may have. When the implants are removed, there is a capsule or layer of scar tissue around the implant. This capsule does not necessarily have to be removed, but should be if the capsule is irregular, painful, distorting the breast shape, is symptomatic or thickened. Removing very thin capsules may cause excessive bleeding and be associated with risks of injuring the chest wall muscles, ribs or other complications. After the implants are removed, any small capsule that is left will over time soften and dissolved/resorb and the breasts will settle into their post implant shape minus the skin stretch and original breast tissue and muscle shrinkage.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant explant

The decision of breast implant removal, explant, is yours to make provided you are fully informed of the surgery and potential risks and complications.

Also need to understand that after 16 years of implants, the breast has gone through some changes, older by 16 years, changes in breast tissue and skin.  Then must consider the effect of healing and scar forces on the  breast.

Removing Breast Implants

I'm not sure how your "reputable" sources compare to extensive testing and scrutiny by the FDA and the plastic surgery world in general, but that doesn't really matter.  If you want your breast implants removed, that is a procedure that can be done very safely.  Essentially, any surgeon who puts breasts implants in can take them out.  You may want some additional breast shaping procedures done, as taking out breast implants can leave the breast saggy and deflated.

If you aren't happy with the doctor you have already discussed this with, you are always able to consult with other doctors to discuss your options.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Removing breast implants

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• Although breast implants really are quite safe and there is a lot of 'reputable' on-line information that is scare tactics and self-promotion, my view has always been -
  • If you want your implants out - have them out - your body may know something that your doctor doesn't.
  • We do know that biofilms can form around the implant and cause chronic pain and inflammation.
  • If you had had implants for 16 years you have the older implants with the thin gel, probably.
  • This can be a big problem if they rupture and they tend to leak even without rupture.
  • You need to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon by going to the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to find ones near you.
  • It will help a lot if the surgeon is interested in breast surgery and does a fair amount of it.
  • You will probably need removal of the implant, removal of the capsule around it and a small lift.
  • An ultrasound study before will show if there is a rupture and a mammogram within a year may be required but DON"T have it done if there is concern about a rupture of the implant.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS