Am I too young to get a mid facelift? I'm an entertainer in a business heavily based on my looks. (photo)

I am 31 years old ( birth year is 1983).My marionette lines bother me. I understand it is risky to be messing with my face at such a young age, but for my job and overall happiness this is something I would like to fix before it gets worse. can I get a mid lift at my age? Will my nostril lines that are about 3/4 of an inch to the side of the marionette lines that make a flap disappear? Will I be able to move my face? Is there something else I can do to alleviate this issue?

Mid-face lift at 31?

Thank you so much for your question about a mid-face lift.

A mid-face lift focuses on the upper, not lower, face.
Your concerns are of the lower face - and yes, you have some early changes that would merit some form of lower face and neck lift, probably.

A full examination by a plastic surgeon is necessary to see what best for you.
The changes suggest that you may have been in the sun a lot, or be a smoker.
If either is the case, really really avoid the sun and work on becoming and ex-smoker.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Facelift age

Age is not the concern…your photos show laxity of the neck, jawls,nasolabial folds and descent of the mid face. I would recommend a full face lift if you were my patient for the best result. Mini or Mid lifts won't do the complete job to give you the best result. Best of luck!

David Liland, MD

Am I too young to get a mid facelift? I'm an entertainer in a business heavily based on my looks.

There is no "correct" age to have a facelift. Everyone ages at a different rate. You should consider a limited variation of a  facelift when what they see in the mirror does not match what you feel on the inside, when you have a support structure in place to facilitate a comfortable recovery, and when you are confident you are doing this for yourself and not to please others.

If you are not physically or emotionally ready for a facelift, there are non-invasive and less-invasive procedures to rejuvenate your face such as supervised skin care, chemical peels, temporary injectable fillers or lon-lasting  micro-fat grafts, skin-tightening procedures, and Dysport or Botox. They do have their place in the appropriate patient butdo not produce the same long lasting natural appearance that is can be achieved with a natural appearing artistically performed facelift by an expert experienced plastic surgeon.

Keep in mind, that following the exact advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on seeing 2 dimensional photos and without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Too young for a facelift?

The pictures you submitted certainly show aging features that appear to be greater than one would expect for your age. Since your profession and self-esteem depend on a lot on your appearance, a facelift likely would help you out. This would be especially true if you have been dissatisfied with non-surgical options such as fillers. Fillers may work on the grooves adjacent to your nostrils however, I often will place some of the deep tissue we discard from the facelift under the skin in these areas to take the place of a filler.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and or fat transfer

Based on your photos, I think fillers and/or fat transfer may help you smooth away those nasolabial folds. Laser treatments may also help. I don't think at this time a facelift is necessary for you.

Age is just a number- it does not define you.

Age is just a number and by itself does not define an individual's fitness, youth or severity of aging process. It has more to do with your healthy lifestyle (or lack thereof (smoking, excessive sun exposure, ect.)), genetics and medical issues you might have.  What I typically look for is do I see what you see that bothers you, and do I have something I can offer you that will adequately address the issue for you safely.  Age is just a number.  I have done facelifts on someone as young as 39 year old as well as patients in their 60's.  It just depends on what issues they have going on.  Some people age well, other don't.

When we refer to what is known as the traditional facelift procedure, it usually implies a surgical procedure that addresses the signs of aging of the lower face and neck only- jowls, lower nasolabial folds, Marionette lines and sagging skin of the neck.  A Mid- facelift addresses the sagging of the cheeks and prominent lower eyelid bags/ deep lower eyelid- cheek grooves.  I cannot tell from your pictures if you need a midface lift because I cannot see that part of your face.  Your Marionette lines do not look that severe so some fillers or fat transfers may suffice.  It is also difficult to tell from your pictures but your jowls do not look prominent either but your nasolabial folds do look prominent and you have some laxity of your neck skin.  I would recommend you be evaluated in person to see if you may benefit from either a full facelift or mini- facelift as well as fat injections to your nasolabial folds.

Age, fillers, facelift

Great photos! You have a lovely face and a beautiful smile!

Age does not define the parameters for facelift, but I really think you could achieve wonderful results with volume replacement. (It's also worth noting that the facelift alone does not specifically target marionette lines.)

For you, I would recommend fat grafting--I think it achieves a natural, lasting result. Fillers also can do this. Both options are good for you. 

You will still be able to move your face after all these things. The goal is to look natural and beautiful. 

It's good that you are considering the "risk" of working on your face--at any age. But I think that volume replacement isn't too risky in this context. It is all reversible (in fact, if you choose fillers, you will have to keep them up as the hyaluronic acid slowly becomes absorbed.) The main risk is temporary bruising, or feeling like your overall goals haven't been achieved immediately. Both these things are easily addressed. 

Age limit for mid facelift

There is no age limit for a mid facelift, and the decision should be based on if you are a candidate. Based on the photos, dermal fillers such as juvederm and voluma or fat transfer to the face would probably be better initial options than a facelift. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to better understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Age for a Mid-Facelift

While there is no set age cutoff for facial rejuvenation surgery, I think you are a little young.  However, there are many other options that I think will adequately correct your area of concern.  I would start with filler, Juvederm or Restylane or Radiesse (depending on the exact crease you would like filled).  There are also more permanent options that could help (fat grafting, Artefil).  

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for both fillers or a facelift.

I think fillers would give a good temporary result although a case can be made for a facelift or some modification thereof. Consult with a good plastic surgeon so you have a good idea what can be delivered by each technique.