Saline Implant deflation - I've had PIP saline implants since 2000.

I've had PIP saline implants since 2000. 530 CC. I've been thinking a lot about removing them. Just today I heard about having a doctor "deflate" them and let them shrink up before I decide whether to put smaller implants in or just remove the bag. Any thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

Pre-op deflation

This is a great technique for women that have saline implants, that are considering going smaller.
A little bit of local anesthesia numbs the skin, and a needle is inserted into the implant, and the saline is removed.  After this is finished, you can try on new implant sizes & shapes in a sports bra - without your current implant being in the way.  It's very helpful to make an accurate choice for your second implant.

Saline implant deflation

Thank you for your excellent question.  One can have their silicone implants deflated in order to assess the degree of skin contraction that will be achieved with removal as well as the need for a breast lift or implant sizing.  PIP have long been recommended to have removed as the risk of rupture is high.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. 

Deflate saline implants

Hi and thank you for your question. Yes it is possible to deflate saline implants in the office setting prior to undergoing surgery. This can be performed to have a patient try sizers and also determine the possibility of a breast lift especially when downsizing the implant volume.  It's most important to find a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for a Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. That's my best advice after 30 years performing aesthetic plastic surgery. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo,MD, FACS, F I CS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Saline implant deflation

One of the benefits of saline implants is the ability to deflate them to allow some degree of tissue conraction before undergoing revision surgery. You cannot predict have much your tissues will tighten but a recent study showed 3-4 weeks is most beneficial. I find it helpful especially in choosing new implants. You shou schedule a consultation with a board- certified plastic surgeon to discuss you hopes and desires.

i wish you well

Dr. Edwards

Removal

Recommend not having them deflated by Doctor. Remove and replace under general anesthesia. Saline or silicone implants may be used. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Office saline implant deflation may be helpful in some cases…

Generally speaking, in office deflation of saline breast implants is an option for some patients. For example, if a patient wishes to downsize breast implants and/or undergo breast lifting surgery, it may be in her best interests to have an in office deflation performed; doing so has the advantage of allowing the skin to “bounce back” slowly. Both the patient and her plastic surgeon will be able to determine more accurately, what will be in her best interests with subsequent surgery. Planning of additional surgery, such as breast lifting, may also be and easier and more accurate proceeding in this fashion.

In office deflation may be a good idea for patients trying to decide whether to undergo breast implant removal altogether or downsizing of breast implants; this will give them a good idea of what their breasts will look like without implants.  Whether or not breast lifting ( and/or other maneuvers) will be indicated and also leave us determine

Obviously, in office deflation does commit patients to additional surgery (at the very least, breast implant shell removal). Sometimes as breast implants deflate, patients report discomfort as a breast implant edges irritate the surrounding tissues.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.