When is it realistic to go overnight backpacking after breast augmentation?

I am having a breast augmentation with correction of constricted tissue in May. I'm wondering what a realistic timeline is to continue going on overnight backpacking trips? I carry around 25-30lbs at a time and hike a max of 8miles per day. I sleep in a hiking tent in a mummy bag so no upright action is possible.

Breast Augmentation restrictions

I usually recommend 6 weeks before engaging in strenuous activity such as backpacking with the load you describe.  However it is on a patient to patient basis and sometimes patients will need longer for recovery.  You may want to consider waiting 8 weeks  to be on the safe side, so that you do not have to cancel your travel plans if your slower to recover.  

Breast Augmentation Restrictions

Thanks for the question. First, ask your surgeon what their post operative restrictions are. I will tell you what I tell my patients; no heavy lifting (more than 10-20 pounds) for 6 weeks.  Period. The end.
You need time to heal. I do let them get back to some cardiac activity a bit sooner if they are healing well. Just think, six weeks off  and the rest of your life of activities. You can do that! In the end do what your surgeon recommends for proper healing.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend waiting at least 6 weeks after surgery, before any strenuous activity like you are describing.  

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation and the recovery process, you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Best of luck to you.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Activity after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to discuss physical activity after surgery with your surgeon.  You will find a great deal of variation between what surgeons recommend.  Therefore, always best to follow what you particular surgeon recommends.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Time to full activity

You should consult with your surgeon regarding your activity.  Most surgeons recommend 4-6 weeks until full activity.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Resumption of athletic activity after breast augmentation.

In my own practice I allow full athletic activity four weeks after breast augmentation. Backpacking would be allowed earlier provided the breasts are protected.

I recommend modified activity after 2 weeks for the BA patient. I think that carrying 30 lbs would probably be too much for the first month.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

One to two months

After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work. At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique. We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At one month, the patients start to wear a of cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio. At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity. Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day.

A call to your surgeon is the best way to get this question answered.

Restrictions after breast surgery can vary greatly depending on the surgery that is being performed,  therefore a call to your surgeon's office is the best way to get your question answered.  Best of luck with your surgery!

I would suggest talking to your surgeon about when you could be released to do this activity. Your surgeon will be checking you and seeing how well you are healing. I recommend to my patients to avoid activities, such as you described, for about 6 weeks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon