Why is it taking longer for my Botox to kick in?

I have been receiving Botox on a regular basis since I was in my 50's. I am now 63. It seems it takes longer and longer to kick in. Is there a reason for this? Tomorrow will be 4 days and I don't see any change at all. I am an NP and also have been administering Botox to patients for the last 10 years. Someone in my practice administered mine.

The peak effect of Botox is seen 14 days after the treatment

Thank you for your question Layla97. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. The pivotal studies demonstrated that the peak effect is seen 14 days after the treatment. Patience is important. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Why is my Botox taking longer to kick in?

Usually it takes up to 10-14 days for Botox to have its full effect. 4 days is too soon to see an effect. I would give it more time.  Also I find with patients that more units may be needed to acquire the desired effect  as they age and get more wrinkles. 

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Hello, and thank you for the question. In general, it can take up to 1-2 weeks to see the effects of Botox treatment. 4 days is still soon after the injections; I would recommend giving it a little bit of time and reevaluating your result. Your provider should be able to answer any questions in the meantime, as he/she knows the details of your treatment. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.
Botox can begin to take effect on everyone differently, although 4 days seems a little soon. Five to seven days are typical, and two weeks for total correction. After two weeks if you are still not seeing an effect, additional units may be needed to achieve your desired result. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox Results

Good morning and thank you for your question. I suggest giving it a few more days. And if you still aren't seeing a result, you may need to try alternative treatments. 
Good luck!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

#Botox becoming less effective?

Many patients report no change in their wrinkles and rhytides in the first few days after Botox injections. I typically tell patients it takes 1-2 weeks to see the effects, so 4 days post-op is a little early to judge. Antibodies that block Botox have been reported in the medical literature would be one explanation why Botox stops working in some people. This is often a reason to try one of the other products like Dysport or Xeomin. The Botox antibodies should not interfere with these other agents.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Results

It takes up to 2 weeks to see the results of botox. I suggest waiting till that time to determine what is working and not.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Why Does Botox Last Longer in Some Patients?

Thanks for the question. Alot of people ask this question, so I wrote a small article about this. Please feel free to take a look, you may find it helpful. There are also many other articles on this site about Botox. 

Hope its helpful,

Dr James P. Bonaparte
Facial Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox does not usually become less effective

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Botox typically does not become less effective with time. Usually, with years of repeat injections, the effects lasts longer. I do not believe the time for the effect to take place changes with years of injections. It is very normal for no effect to be seen for 4-5 days. You do not need to be worried about it at this point. The results should be fully seen by the 8th day. Good luck!

Hello Layla,

It is common to not have any benefit at day 4.  Some patients will see an effect that early.  If it is still working for you, even though it is taking longer, you wouldn't have resistance.  Maybe the person in your practice injected you a little different or maybe the strength was off a little bit.  As long as it is working, I wouldn't worry about it.

I hope that helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon