Why are my eyelids uneven?

My eyelids used to be perfectly symmetrical but ever since I have gotten sun poisoning in Mexico my eyelids have been uneven. Each morning they are puffy and the right eyelid is droppy compared to the left.

Uneven eyes after sunburn, how to correct them?

Hi Gs,Thanks for your question. Without a photo is is nearly impossible to tell you what is going on. It is possible that the burn created some internal eyelid damage to the structure that lifts your eye open, the levator muscle. I would recommend getting some free consultations and seeing a specialist in eyelid surgery who may able to better tell you what is going on with your eyelids but that requires an in person consultation and examination. Hope this helps. Good luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #blepharoplasty #uneveneyes Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Droopy eyelids

Without a picture it is difficult to assess. But the swelling from the sunburn could have stretched the eyelids but typically would resolve with some time. If it doesn't you need to see an oculoplastic specialist to evaluate.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon

A picture is worth a thousand words.

If your sun exposure was recent, you might reasonably let the eyelids heal.  If this issue persists for more than a few months, it is possible that the swelling associated with the sun exposure has disinherited the tendon inside the eyelid causing a permanent change in the eyelid.  If that proves to be the case, surgery can be perfomed to restore eyelid symmetry. 

Uneven eyelids

Without a photo this will be hard to answer. There are many reasons people get droopy eyelids. I'd see an oculoplastic surgeon in your area for a consultation.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon