Breast lift with possible implant. Every doctor has given me a different answer. Which is right? (Photo)

Had breast reduction in 1994. Loved result.. firm D cup up until a few years ago. Age set in and breasts are sagging. One doctor said lift only putting loose skin into the breast. Second Doc will do a lift and wants to put in silicone implants of about 390. Third Doc wants 300cc implants and remove loose skin. My goal is to keep my D cup and not go larger. What is the right answer: Lift only pushing loose skin into breast...Lift with 300cc or 390cc implant. I have a large frame.

High, Tight and Firmer Breasts

If you want your breasts to be higher and firmer, and your breasts are currently low and floppy, then I would recommend the BAR procedure.   BAR stands for Breast Augmentation Reduction.    Since you do not want to be any larger (and don't need to be), then a BAR removes breast tissue and skin and replaces the volume that is removed with an implant for the highness and the firmness.   If done correctly, your cup size will end up the same but your breasts will be lifted off of your upper abdomen, thus, elongating your abdomen, narrowed and stand firmly on their own.

Breast lift with possible implant. Every doctor has given me a different answer. Which is right?

It is extremely common to receive different opinions from different plastic surgeons about the best way to treat a specific “problem”. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences. Their opinions may also be shaped by unfavorable results they have encountered in their practices.  

Although these different opinions can be confusing and a source of anxiety for patients, it is good for patients to understand the different options available. Ultimately, it will be up to each patient to do their due diligence and select their plastic surgeon carefully. Part of this selection process will involve the patients becoming comfortable with the plastic surgeon's experience level and abilities to achieve their goals as safely and complication free as possible. If I were you, I would ask to see as many examples as possible of similar patients who your plastic surgeons have helped.

Ultimately, you will need to select your plastic surgeon carefully,  based (mainly) on your confidence level that he/she will be able to deliver your desired outcome.  Then, communicate your goals carefully as well. The use of goal photographs will be very helpful in this communication process.  Working together you will come up with a good plan to achieve an outcome you will be happier with.

Breast lift with possible implant

I know it can be confusing getting all these different opinions. The simplest question is do you want to be any bigger than your current breast size? If the answer is no, then proceed with a lift procedure only. A breast lift will tighten your skin and will give you a "perkier" breast. If you want to be bigger, then choose to have a lift with an implant. The most important factor in choosing an implant is not just the "cc" size, but the correct dimensions of the implant for your breast anatomy. You have a "wider" base diameter to your breast so in my opinion a low profile implant that is 14 - 15 cm will "fit" your breast. I hope that helped. Good luck.

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Lift or lift plus implant?

Hi Elaineg1227,

Thanks for your questions and photos.  I'm sorry that you are getting so many different opinions and for the confusion/anxiety that goes along with that.  Without being able to see you in person and do a physical exam, it is impossible to be absolutely certain, but I can give you my advice based on your photos.

It sounds like you don't want to be any larger than you current are, but want that more youthful contour back.  If that assumption is correct, then I would likely recommend that you just proceed with the lift only - this option will correct the "sagging", give you a perkier contour, not add any additional size, and you will likely have an easier recovery due to not having to undergo more surgery in order to place an implant.  

I would make sure that you feel comfortable with whatever surgeon that you choose, that they are a board certified plastic surgeon, that you feel like your goals and expectations are understood, and that you like the surgeon's before and after results.  I hope this helps.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

If you are happy with your size and want to improve the shape a lift alone will accomplish this. 

Not to confuse the issue, there is another option. You could transfer some of your own fat to the upper pole of the breast at the time of the lift. This will enhance the shape without the use of an implant and allow the surgeon to place the additional volume where you need it the most.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in fat grafting the breast.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with possible implant. Every doctor has given me a different answer. Which is right

placing an implant will make you larger so if you do not want to be any larger, the best option is just the lift. The fullness at the top may not last long but the implant placed to achieve that will make you larger.

Julio Garcia, MD

Revision Breast Surgery

If you get an implant and lift, you will be bigger.  If you are looking to only improve shape and not change size, then an implant and a further reduction of breast tissue will push the ratio of breast implant to breast tissue into an optimal relationship. Regardless, you should have this performed by an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that specializes in revision breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

No one can say which is "right" however I would be discussing with you a revision of your full mastopexy to tighten skin combined with placement of implants in the 300 to 340 mL range to enhance upper pole fullness.  This will add some volume and make you somewhat larger but will reduce the likelihood of lack of fullness in your upper breast area.  Many patients seek this but if you would rather not have implants then doing the full mastopexy alone is your next best choice.

Take your time making your decision and wait until you have met a plastic surgeon who is both board-certified and confidence inspiring that he can do a good job for you for proceeding.  I suggest selecting an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon was a member of the Aesthetic Society (surgery.org)

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lift

The choice is yours to make.  Breast lift surgery reshapes the breast for a pleasing cosmetic result.  Breast implants add volume, but do not change the shape.  If you are happy with your breast volume you do not want implants.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD