How soon can I get back in the gym for a mild workout after a mommy makeover?

Wait 6 weeks before resuming gym workouts after mommy makeover.

A mommy makeover includes a number of different plastic surgery procedures, including tummy tuck, and your body needs significant time to heal. During the first 2 weeks of recovery, you’ll need to rest. Some gentle walking is okay during this time. You can begin more vigorous walking after 2 weeks, and can slowly increase your activity level. By 6 to 8 weeks, you should be able to get back into the gym for a mild workout, though it’s important to begin at approximately 25 percent of your previous intensity level. Consult with your plastic surgeon to determine the best way to support your recovery.

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

DrDerby

thank you for your question. I would discuss this directly with your surgeon , i would start light aerobic exercises after 8 weeks and then slowly augment intensity. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

6 weeks

I recommend that my patients after a tummy tuck and breast augmentation/lift wait six weeks to return to the gym.  This is because the tummy tuck usually involves repair of the rectus muscles.  Now walking is certainly permissible and encouraged and if you want to do this in your gym that is okay.  But beyond that, I usually recommend waiting six weeks.

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

How long after a mommy makeover can you get back in the gym?

I tell my patients that they can resume light aerobic activity at 3 weeks.  Treadmill, elliptical, etc.  I ask my patients to wait 6 weeks before they are doing any further strenuous activity or heavy lifting.  Each physician has a different protocol, though, so I would check with your specific PS.  Good luck!

Work outs after mommy makeover

Well, it depends on your definition of "a mild workout". I have found that most women can resume walking, such as a tread mill, or an elliptical machine as early as 7-10 days after surgery. By 4 weeks, most patients are released to conduct conditioning exercises. Where you fall will most likely be somewhere in between these time periods. Once you have decided that you want to pursue a mommy makeover operation, consult a Borad Certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate considerable experience with mommy makeovers.Tad Grenga MD  Chesapeake, Virginia

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Back in the gym after a Mommy Makeover

Our post-op instructions specify not returning to full exercise in the gym for 4-6 weeks, but it depends upon the patient and her recovery.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your definition of a "mild workout".  Kenneth B. Hughes, MDBoard Certified Plastic SurgeonLos Angeles, CA 90066

How soon can I get back in the gym for a mild workout after a mommy makeover

Thank you for submitting your question.  Discuss post op instructions with your plastic surgeon.   I advise mt patients to wait 4-6 weeks after surgery to return to full activities. Good Luck and hope for a speedy recovery.

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Exercising after Mommy Makeover

Most patients can begin doing some mild walking exercise after about two weeks.  Returning to the gym can usually begin around 6 weeks.  This will vary depending on how your recovery is going.  Some can return earlier, some later.  The important thing is to go gradually and listen to your body as well as your surgeon!

Camille Cash, MD

Recovery after mommy makeover

Hi,Thank you for your question. I have my patients walk around the house right after surgery as tolerated. Every surgeon has their own protocol but I generally have my patients wait 6 weeks before resuming any gym activity. I advise my patients to avoid any lifting until advised otherwise. Check with your surgeon before resuming any strenuous activities or lifting.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon