Can a facelift or mini facelift be done with locals?

I am a former smoker. I quit almost 3 years ago. My lung specialist will not clear me to go under. 49% lung function. Deep wrinkles on side of mouth and a wrinkled neck. Did 6 treatments of excilis, not seeing much difference.

Facelift Under Local Anaesthetic

Thank you for your question I have pioneered my Concept Facelift, which targets the SMAS muscle and skin, therefore giving the same longevity as a traditional facelift, however is performed under local anaesthetic.  This ensures a significantly reduced recovery period, with minimum swelling and bruising, therefore patients returning to their daily routines within 5-7 days. My reasons for pioneering this were because patients did not want the health risk of going under general anaesthetic (especially as is it not a necessity procedure), local anaesthetic or twilight sedation would be a great alternative, not only for health reasons but your recovery period will be shorter.  
Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve. 
All The Best 

Local Anesthesia for Facelift

Yes, it is possible for both a facelift and mini facelift to be performed with the patient placed under local anesthesia. In this case, the patient remains conscious throughout the administration of anesthesia, and may find that the level of discomfort and pain being experiencing is tolerable during this awakened, relaxed state. The most important aspect of any cosmetic procedure, and any surgery in general, is to ensure the patient’s utmost safety. So, if your lung specialist has not cleared you to be placed under any form of anesthesia, I would suggest that you honor this advice and focus on bettering your health before moving forward with your possible facelift surgery.   

Sam Rizk, MD

Facelift under Local Anesthesia

Yes, a facelift can be performed under local anesthesia with a small dose of oral medication to decrease anxiety.  I have performed numerous facelifts in this manner with excellent success.  Prior to having any procedure, the appropriate preoperative consultations will be needed to assess your risk for surgery.  Specifically, you lung doctor will be contacted to discuss the procedure and medications we will be using to see if he or she feels your are low risk.  Realize that a face/necklift functions to lift sagging facial and neck skin/muscle.  It will provide a tighter neck and jawline.  Its main function is not to correct wrinkles.  If you have issues with wrinkles, a fractionated laser resurfacing will be suggested in addition.  Good Luck.  

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Under Local Anesthesia

The short answer is yes, a facelift can be performed under local anesthesia. I have performed many face and neck lift operations this way, usually at the request of a patient that is opposed to other forms of anesthesia. Most patients tolerate the procedure well, especially if the surgeon is slow and patient with the administration of the local anesthetic.  A small dose of oral sedation will not impair your ability to breathe and will help manage your anxiety. You can have heart rate, EKG, blood pressure and oxygen levels monitored for additional safety.  I would agree that there are a sub-set of patients that are are not good candidates for surgery under local anesthesia because they are overly anxious or fearful of discomfort. Most of these patients are aware of their limitations and are quick to self-identify.  I would at least discuss local anesthesia as an option with your lung specialist and your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Yes a facelift can be done under local anesthesia.

Be aware however that very visible skin wrinkles around the mouth and cheek area typically will not be removed with a facelift.

A facelift can certainly tighten loose facial and neck skin.  However surface wrinkles on the skin that you see when your face is at rest usually require combined laser resurfacing for correction.  For more information please read the link below.

Local anesthesia for a Facelift

Absolutely this can be done. Like others have said you may need to endure some slight discomfort during the injection process. Additionally some sedation can be given so you are comfortable yet breathing on your own. Clearly this needs to be planned in conjunction with your lung doc  to assure safety. Hope this helps!

Ritu Chopra, MD

Face lift can be done without general anesthesia. However, be sure that your surgeon is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and that his/her facility that you will be in is a nationally accredited center. Should anything go wrong eg. you receive too much sedation and your breathing becomes a problem or if the surgery becomes complicated for some reason you should be at an institution that can offer general anesthesia as needed. Your pulmonary function is worrisome and you will require extensive medical clearance to determine if you are a candidate for a surgical procedure.

Jarrod Daniel, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Facelift, local, local and sedation,

Hello, thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about the status of the lungs at the moment. Hopefully your doctors can optimize this for you.  It sounds like they are being prudent.  There are a few options for you as far as anesthesia.  There is an option of local and light sedation.  This is done in a formal operating room as opposed to the office (as I recommend to anyone having a procedure) and you would be completely numbed in the cheeks and neck yet slightly sedated but to where you can still follow commands etc. This is a nice way and I do most of my cases with this method.  There is also the option of pure local and no sedation as well.  You would be 100% awake for entire procedure and this would be better for a mini-type of procedure but depending on your personality this may work as well too!  The degree of wrinkling and redundant skin in addition to your desired goals would need to be taken into consideration.  But yes, this can be done either way!

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift with local anesthesia

You can do a facelift with local anesthesia.  You will have to be able to tolerate the discomfort of the local anesthesia injections, but once those are done you will be comfortable.  Some patients can not put up with any discomfort or are so anxious that straight local would not be possible.  but for others, they prefer not to have any sedation and it can work out very well.  You should also see if just doing some other type of laser would help with the wrinkles - either fractionated CO2, or perhaps a new technology called Infini which combines micro-needling with radiofrequency. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facelift or mini lift done under local anesthesia

A face lift takes  approximately 3 hours to perform, and most patients cannot sit still for that length of time comfortably. For patient's safety and comfort, we have a board certified physician anesthesiologist in attendance throughout the entire procedure, usually under general anesthesia. It's important to have clearance  by your pulmonary specialist to have any elective cosmetic surgery performed.