Do I need to wear a support/sports bra at night 1 week after breast surgery?

I'm 16 years old and had surgery to correct asymmetry, with a small implant and a lift in one and a larger implant in the other. The aftercare wasn't too good and left out some information like this.

Sports Bra

Thank you for your question!  I advise my patients to wear a tight sports bra the first 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.  Consult with your plastic surgery to get the correct post care.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

I advise it

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the information you needed. Usually, I recommend you wear a bra everyday for the first eight weeks after surgery, day and night.

Supportive Bra after surgery

I recommend my patients wear a surgical sports bra for two full weeks after surgery. Basically 24/7 but can be removed to wash the bra and shower. At the two week point it will be fine to switch to another type of bra. (underwire etc.)

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Support Bra

Hi there, your question is really important, i personally always send my patients with post operative girdle, or support bra, is really important for the patients to used these, helps the skin to get attached very well to the muscle, in your case it will help you not jerking your breasts to cause some desbalance in your implants, at least two months is good to use it, you should go with your surgeon, he will indicate what would be good for you.

Daniel Camacho Melo, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Post op instructions

Thanks for your question. I usually send my patients home in a front clasp sports bra on the day of surgery. All physicians differ somewhat in their post op instructions, so I would advise you to check with your physician for his/her preference.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a supportive or sports bra 1 week post-op is probably a good idea

In most circumstances, unless there is some reason why we shouldn't in a specific patient, I always recommend that my patients who have breast implants placed wear a supportive bra night and day for at least 4 weeks.  This helps support the healing tissues, preventing injury to the fragile new capsule and maintaining proper implant position.  If you have questions, you should be persistent in asking your surgeon or his staff to answer them.  It's the least that you deserve.  They operated on you, and they have a responsibility to take care of you postoperatively, and that means answering any questions you may have.  Good luck.

Wearing a bra after breast augmantation.

Yes.  I have all my patients that have had breast surgery wear a bra 24/7 for a couple weeks, unless in the shower, for support. 

Matthew Kaufman, MD
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Bra wearing after surgery will not hurt the implant

Wearing a bra after surgery in my practice is done for comfort only.  Most women like to wear something, so a Coobie bra, athletic type bra, or camisole are all fine.  Surgical bras play little to no role for our post-procedure women.  This is all the art of medicine.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon