Can anyone help me decide if liposculpture is right for me?

Despite being of normal weight I have 6 pockets of fat I hate. I spent my life with them and even after 50+ weight loss they remain. I have 8.5 inches between my waist and hips and they do seem narrow. Perhaps because I have PCOS and my estrogen is low, I ovulate infrequently and my LH is always elevated, although my testosterone is normal. I want this fat gone, but I am worried about future pregnancy stretching and also the fat might come back because of PCOS, or be impacted by PCOS.

Liposuction

Dear Joanne,

The best candidates for non-invasive body contouring, fat reduction and minimally-invasive surgical liposuction are those patients have worked hard to achieve their ideal body weight through diet and exercise and still have localized, unwanted excess pockets of fat. In general, seek a board certified liposuction surgeon who has a lot of experience in treating unwanted localized areas of fat with techniques to provide both fat reduction and to provide artistry and shape to your figure and contour.

As one ages, it is important to remember that the skin laxity following liposuction is not always optimal and that energy-assisted techniques, such as those surgeons who have mastered the art and science of SmartLipo™, and internationally, surgeons who have mastered the art of BodyTite™, can usually provide between 17% and 35% area contraction following the removal of fat. As one ages, the synchronous contraction of skin at the same time as removal of fat, potentially in particularly lax areas such as the upper arm, lower abdomen, inner thigh and bra line can be very important.

Prior to embarking upon any kind of non-surgical or surgical liposuction, it is important to rule out metabolic conditions and internal organ abnormalities that may impact upon your results, such as PCOSD and hormonal irregularities. Seek the advice of an internist or an endocrinologist prior to seeking lipo sculpture to optimize the best long-term result.

Always seek board certified physicians with good reputations and good word-of-mouth referral.

Sincerely,
R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.

Liposculpture Fine With PCOS

Liposculpture is meant to eliminate stubborn pockets of fat, like the ones you describe. Because you have already lost a significant amount of weight, you are probably a good candidate for liposculpture, as it is a body sculpting procedure and not a weight-loss method. To maintain your good results, it is important to have a healthy diet and exercise regimen. After your pregnancy, once you lose the excess weight, you should be back at the results you achieved with liposculpture. The PCOS should not affect your results one way or the other. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist to find out how liposculture can help you achieve the shape you desire.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Dr Derby

If you would like the fat removed then liposuction is the way to go, if you would like the fat transferred to other areas then lipo sculpture is the best for you. Maybe it is wise to show us a few photos ?

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Liposculpture may work well

If your diagnosis is too much fat in the wrong place, then liposculpture may be for you.

Liposuction permanently removes fat. It should have no impact on future pregnancy and should not change your PCOS if done correctly.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction exam

If you have lost weight and still have pockets of fat, and the skin is high over the areas, then you are a good candidate for liposuction.   It would be best to have this examined in person by a plastic surgeon.

Liposculpture

Without examining you, it is not possible to tell if liposuction is right for you.  In your situation, you may have excess skin which may need to be removed for best results.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who can best advise you.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

liposuction is best at treating localized areas of fat, especially in areas more resistant to weight loss.  I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing your concerns.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction may be reasonable for you, but I would have to examine you or see pictures to help make a determination.  Find a liposuction expert in your area.

Photos would have been very useful in a better assessment of your situation. It may be that you are indeed a good candidate. Re post with your photos and I'll be happy to update my answer.

The key is............ does the surgeon have a keen sense of aesthetics? Can he/she create a shapely, attractive hour glass figure or are they just technicians that wind up with large unshapely forms? Understand that liposuction whether SAL, PAL or UAL is not that technically challenging. However, the keen aesthetic eye will determine the eventual work of art. We are creators and have the ability to turn out beautiful works of art. Simply put................not all artists create quality work.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We can accommodate patients from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

I answer all questions personally and conduct the in person consults my self.Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck

Liposculpture, liposuction or Cool Sculpting for stubborn fat?

All of these are options to help reshape your body. Each has there own merits.  The only one that doesn't require incisions and prolonged compression garments is Cool Sculpting.  I would look for a surgeon using the Smart Beauty Guide to get a complete consultation.  Of course if you are in Austin please come visit us!