Can Heavy Lifting and Drinking Alcohol Permanently Ruin Rhinoplasty Results?

I had my first rhinoplasty last year. My doctor said I could resume heavy weight lifting after 2 weeks so I did but I noticed minor nasal swelling. Over the course of many months, some scar tissue formed. My doctor did a free minor revision yesterday and only worked on the cartilage, not the bone. He said I can workout in only 1 week this time. Can I follow his advice or could it have been lifting that caused the scar tissue? Also, can too much alcohol a few weeks after surgery ruin results?

Heavy lifting and alcohol post rhinoplasty, ruin results?

It all depends on the extent of the rhinoplasty. What did the surgeon see when he/she was in there? Did they do extensive septum, turbinate, and bone work? Did they do extensive tip work? Best to take the advise of your surgeon's office when on an exercise regimen. We usually tell our patients at each visit what their restrictions are. We tell them, (at the appropriate time),to start slowly and then progress from there. Also, don't be frustrated if you lost endurance, or gains in lifting. It will take a while to get back to where you were.                 

Activity and Recovery Post-Rhinoplasty

My advice, no heavy lifting or significant working out for 4 weeks after major rhinoplasty work. This lets the swelling abate, the bones heal, and lessens the formation of scar tissue. 

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

I don't thing believe that your aggressive workouts are the cause of your swelling and scarring.  I also don't believe alcohol is to blame.  Different people heal differenly in various ways.  I think your genetics determine how you really scar.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Alcohol and Weightliftng after Rhinoplasty

I always recommend that patients follow the instructions of their surgeons. I tend to restrict my patients' activities  more than your physician, not because exercise, partying, and drinking are bad, but the patient is more likely to get hit in the nose and compromise the rhinoplasty result. 

Exercise after rhinoplasty

I have neveer found any relationship between timing of exercise and rhinoplasty results. i do want patients to take a couple weeks off from exercise to allow for recovery from the stress of surgery and anesthesia. Sun exposure is a problem and needs to be restricted for 6 weeks and of cours avoid contact sports where you nose could be hit

David A. Bray, Sr., MD