6 weeks after vagina tightening surgery. Had sex, it's bleeding & hurting. Is that normal?

It's 6 weeks now I had vigana tighting surgery my surgeon said it's save to have sex now ! last night when I have sex its was very pain full & it's bleed as well . Does it's normal or I have to wait more .

Bleeding after sex after vaginoplasty

Most women can begin careful slow sexual intercourse with plenty of lubrication at 6-8 weeks; I always want to examine my patient prior to OK-ing sex.  I tell patients "2 months" but frequently it's OK after 6 weeks.

You probably had a small tear which should heal uneventfully, but no more sexual intimacy until you've been checked by your doc; you may need to wait a few more weeks for this to fully heal.

In the meantime, you may wish to discover the sensual joys of other areas of your body...

Michael PO Goodman MD

Go see your surgeon

Sometimes the vagina is incompletely healed at 6 weeks. If so, you may have experienced a small skin tear, but you need to be checked.

Discomfort is expected the first time

Hi Babra!

It is normal for the first intercourse after surgery to be uncomfortable and a bit painful, .. You need to use a lot of lubrication. Sometimes a tiny bit of bleeding may occur (spotting), and if it is very minimal and stops quite shortly after intercourse there shouldn't be much to worry about. However if you do have persistent bleeding and lot of it ,please do contact your surgeon... so just take it slow the first couple of times.

Good luck!

Expectations regarding sex after vaginal rejuvenation surgery.

Thank you for submitting your question.  Six weeks is the usual time most doctors tell their patients that it's safe to resume sexual activity after this type of surgery.  Most women will have had enough healing in this time to not have the experience you had with pain and bleeding.  Of course, not everyone heals at the same rate and the definition of "sexual activity" may vary as well.  I give my patients similar guidelines, however, I do mention that initially, sex should be very gentle and involve adequate lubrication, either natural or any of the commercially available products, such as Astroglide or KY Jelly (water-based, not petroleum based).  Also, if you experience pain followed by bleeding, you should stop immediately and schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible.  Often, an underlying cause may be identified and addressed, for example, thinning of the vaginal epithelium from age-related or postpartum hormonal changes.  If the bleeding is limited (meaning very little bleeding that stops quickly), then it is probably OK to attempt sexual activity again the next day, taking care to go slowly and use lubrication.  It is not unusual for sexual intercourse to cause some pain initially after this type of procedure, since the diameter of the vagina is substantially reduced and the stitches will have not dissolved yet.  Slight bleeding or spotting is also not unheard of.  The best bet is to follow up with your surgeon and give him or her a chance to evaluate you and offer an informed opinion on the cause and recommendations for future sexual activity.