How Do I Heal the Result of my "At Home" Chemical Peel? (photo)

On Sunday I received Jessner's Peel and 30% Salicylic Acid. After the application, I was still frosted really bad and I was starting to bruise within a half an hour. My skin looked even when it frosted but now it's pretty patchy. Not only has my skin darkened and tightened quite a bit, it's now peeling in patches and leaving behind various pink patches. I'm worried because I have a hyper-pigmentation problem. I constantly apply Polysporin but I'm not sure. Should be doing anything more for it?

Doctor Answers 5

How Do I Heal the Result of my "At Home" Chemical Peel?

Tough lesson to learn - NOT TO DO AT HOME THERAPIES! Call a local term or PS to be seen ASAP. You need medical care for second degree burns. 

Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Avoid home use of dangerous chemicals on the face - asking for trouble

You have placed yourself at risk for scarring and hyperpigmentation.  These are not agents that should be used at home.  I would discontinue the use of the polysporin and use just a an ointment like Aquaphor.  As for the redness and hyperpigmention you will need to seek the care of a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

At home chemical peels can cause complications

You need to seek consultation immediately with a dermatologist or (facial) plastic surgeon who is well versed in chemical peels.  You have a very dark complexion and it looks like you peeled your skin too deeply.  You will require prompt treatment to try and minimize the damage.  

In people of color, if a chemical peels penetrates too deeply, it can cause permanent loss of pigment which can't be corrected.  I recommend chemical peels only be performed by appropriately trained and certified personnel.  Aestheticians can perform superficial chemical peels safely, and only trained physicians should perform deeper peels. 

Best wishes, please don't delay in seeking help. 

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

You need to immediately seek dermatologic care to help you heal from this injury.

Please do not do these peels at home.  Sure you can buy anything you want from the internet.  However these are highly dangerous agents if you do not have the knowledge to safely use them, heal them, and manage the complications.  I am so sorry that you are in this predicament.  Please get help.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

At home peels

Thank you for your question. Please go see your dermatologist or plastic surgeon immediately  for post care instructions. You appear to have a darker complexion and have peeled yourself with the wrong peel for your skin type and with to many layers. To avoid furthering your damage stay out of the sun and seek a local professionals advice for your next steps. No more at home treatments!

- Best wishes

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.