Swollen tip of the nose after surgery (Photo)

I had a rhinoplastic surgery done a week ago. My only problem was i had an over projected tip and everything else was good. I had this overprotected nose from a previous nose job and i just wanted it to look shorter. The surgeon that did my last surgery said that he added some grafts to the sides of my nose to make it stronger. Now my nose literally looks like a piggy nose!! I'm afraid this won't get smaller because I never seen anyone having such nose after a cosmetic surgery.

One week after surgery

At one week after surgery you are very swollen and you have to give it time to settle down. It is quite large, but that may be related to the swelling.  Good luck.

Recovering from rhinoplasty, the tip is the last area for swelling to go down

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a process. Swelling that causes puffiness on the outside and stuffiness on the inside goes away in stages. At 1 week, your nose is maximally swollen. This is a good thing. In the first 6-8 weeks, the majority of swelling goes down. Over the next 6-9 months, it's a downward trending rollercoaster ride of swelling going down and up. The nose may continue to refine over years.
Swelling will go down on one side and then the other side will catch up. This may give an uneven appearance to the nose or one sided stuffiness. The tip is the last area for swelling to resolve.
Healing is a process and your surgeon is with you for the journey. Follow-up appointments after rhinoplasty are important. Tell your surgeon about any issues/questions so she/he can guide your care for a safe and happy result. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello,Be patient. One week after any surgery  including rhinoplasty is too early to judge results. Things settle, swelling improves and asymmetries dissipate. Let your surgeon reassure you about this. Regards,

J. Phillip Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Recovery- Too early!

At 1 week, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Swollen tip a week after rhinoplasty revision.

At a week out unfortunately you can't make much of a conclusion about the final outcome and shape of your tip. This becomes even more so when it's revision surgery, a lot of swelling and thick skin. You can get a rough idea of what the results will look like but that's often all. At 2 weeks it's easier but really it's about 6 weeks before you can with any real confidence feel you know what the end result will be. Waiting unfortunately is just part of the rhinoplasty process!

Expected swelling after rhinoplasty

Hello mflower123 and thank you for your question. It is entirely too early to tell what your nose is going to look like so hang in there. You are going to notice big changes even throughout the rest of this week. I generally say that there is still 10% of swelling present at 2 months. Stay positive!

Rhinoplasty recovery

I certainly understand you anxiety at this point, but still think it is way too early to worry that this is your final result.  It is not uncommon to have a fair amount of swelling at just a week out.  Remember that everyone recovers differently, some having more swelling initially, as well as taking it a bit longer to resolve.  It sounds like this was a revision case, and would expect slight more edema and recovery time as the dissection through scarred tissue is frequently much more difficult in revision cases.  Try to be patient, and remember to maintain close follow up with your surgeon.  Good luck.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon