Wearing a band after BAM to correct tuberous breast deformity? (photos)

I had breast augmentation surgery about three weeks ago. Originally my PS suggested that he would possibly have to to a bilateral crescent lift to correct my tubular shaped breasts. He ended up not doing it. I just went back for my three week appointment and shared my concerns that I was not 100% happy, I still hate the shape and that the nipples point down. He put me in a band to help change the shape. I just don't see how this could work. Seems it would do the opposite. Thoughts?

Wearing a band after BAM to correct tuberous breast deformity?

You can try. But I ALWAYS tell my tuberous patients they will need a least 2 to 3surgeries to correct. Therefore you see you need another operation.

BAM to correct tuberous breast deformity? = difficult problem to address #breastaugmenation #BAM #breastimplants

Tuberous breast is a difficult physical finding to address. Most of the time breast augmentation with implants could address the problem. However, sometimes secondary procedure may be needed to address the issue. 

John Mesa, MD

Wearing a band after breast augmentation.

We happen to like breast bands and use them after most augmentation procedures. The result might be the same without but we feel they hold the implant down in the pocket and hasten the "dropping" after augmentation. Your result will change as the breast envelope relaxes and the implant settles in. Before being disappointed wait the several months to see how things work out and you might like things without the risk of a visible scar. BTW you do not have a tuberous breast.

Give It Time

It may take more time for things to relax.  However, it looks like your breast tissue started off low on your chest, just judging from your post-op photo, looking at your breast mass relative to your shoulders and collar bones.  It would be interesting to see your pre-operative photos to see what your breast shape was before, your nipple position and how much ptosis (sag) you had?

Give it time and see if they relax more.  Your breast will have the same position and shape, but hopefully your nipples will rotate up and look more like they are at the point of maximal projection of your implants as the bottom relaxes.

Gordon Telepun, MD
Decatur, Alabama

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  Without preoperative photographs to assess your nipple and areolar position prior to augmentation it is difficult to know if you would have benefitted from a lift at the time of your augmentation.  At three weeks from surgery, however, the overall appearance of your breasts will change dramatically once the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest. As the volume within the implant redistributes towards the lower portion of your breast a more natural appearance will be obtained, possibly elevating your nipple. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

You never had tuberous breasts

You do not have tuberous breasts. Band will not accomplish anything for you. You might need breast lift. It all depends on what you did expect in the beginning and how you started prior to the operation. 

Vasdev Rai, MD