Tummy Tuck Revision, can a vertical incision be used? (photos)

I had a botched tummy tuck over 10 years ago. I don't think I have enough skin to pull down for a revision. Can I be cut vertically using the existing incision and pulled inwards? I know the scars are too high to be cut away. I would like a belly button repair.

Anchor abdominoplasties

with vertical components are routinely recommended for my massive weight loss patients unless they are willing to have a total lower body lift with a circumferential scar/excision.  Most MWL patients hate their extra skin and the only way to really remove the maximal amount is to have an anchor excision with a vertical scar, which patients must be accepting of.  If your surgeon is young, he/she will learn from this.  And if older and presumably wiser, then this is his/her preference and he/she is accepting of the loose skin.  But these things are usually discuss during consultations so patients can make the best decision for themselves.  So, yes, you can have a vertical scar and revision of your belly button.

Anchor abdominoplasties

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Revisional tummy tuck and vertical scar ?

Yes , it  makes sense to  consider a resection/ tightening  of the excess skin , particularly if you already have a vertical scar. Do not  forget that there will also have to be  additional revision in the  supra- pubic area and laterally to accommodate for the revision. The  umbilicus  will also require a touch up . Additional liposuction of the flanks will also enhance  your results. You  should have an excellent result !

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Vertical incision for botched tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your revision tummy tuck.

• I am so sorry your first tummy tuck wasn't done well enough to get you a good result.
  • Yes, I think your idea of a vertical tummy tuck is a good one.
  • It looks as though some liposuction of the back will probably help as well to give a smoother result.
  • Your belly button can definitely be revised at the same time.
  • You need a careful examination by an experienced plastic surgeon to plan your surgery so you get the best possible result - and that should include assessing the front, sides and back of your torso so the overall look is as good as possible for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Revision abdominoplasty

Fleur de lis can be a great option for someone with a lot of excess tissue in the midline. As my colleague said, since you already have a scar down the middle you could be quite a good candidate for this procedure. Thank you for sending a picture of your back too. Oftentimes we treat the abdomen and breasts but a large contribution comes from the back too where those rolls are probably bothering you. You appear to have a shapely waist, we just have to contour you and remove the excess tissue from your weight loss. A body lift with the scar hidden in the bra line would smooth out the back rolls and a revision abdominoplasty fleur de lis to make you happier with your tummy. You do need to see a board-certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable with body contouring and able to achieve the results you desire (within reason and reasonable expectation)! I hope this helps. - Dr. Mills

Dan Mills, MD

Revision abdominoplasty

Dan Mills, MD

Revision Tummy Tuck

An experienced surgeon can determine if a vertical incision and it's associated circumferential tightening is appropriate for you. Additionally, your current scar can probably be lowered substantially. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. Best of luck!

Revision Tummy Tuck

Fleur de Lis Abdominoplasties

Hi and thank you for your question.  While a detailed physical exam and consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always recommended, it does appear from your pictures that you do have enough skin to least revise your abdominoplasty thru your existing, vertical incision.  A "Fleur de Lis" abdominoplasty can sometimes be performed to improve both vertical and horizontal skin laxity while at the same time revising your umbilicus (belly button).  Your old incisions will be removed, excess skin cut, and you'll have new vertical and horizontal scars.  The horizontal one will hopefully be covered by your underwear.  Good luck!

Fleur de Lis Abdominoplasties