I am a 24 year old male who has suddenly started to lose a large amount of hair constantly on a daily basis creating bald spots.

I used to have a lot hair more than the average man, however I recently moved from Texas to California and has been hit with severe homesickness, stress and some tension. Right after I moved I noticed hair falling off on a constant basis something that has never happened, much less in a constant and severe way, it's been two months now and it doesn't seem to be improving . Ia it caused by stress? I don't believe it's hereditary, since my entire family does not suffer from any sort of baldness.

24 year old male who has suddenly started to lose a large amount

Thank you for your question, when you loss hair it will not grow back without having to do treatment to stop the hairloss. Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. 

If you don't believe your hair loss is hereditary then find another cause.

If you don't believe your hair loss is hereditary then find another cause.  The best way to find out would be an examination.  We can all hypothesize it may be stress but there isn't much that can be offered other than speculation. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning Hair -- Rogaine, Propecia, Viviscal, Progesterone, PRP

If you have thinning hair you really need an evaluation to see if it is genetic or from another cause like stress or autoimmune (alopecia areata). If it is determined to be genetic there are many options and traditional treatments like rogaine foam and propecia pills can be used. I have great success in my practice using injectable progesterone and prp to the scalp. I suggest seeing a dermatologist with expertise in hair loss. Best, Dr. Emer.

Hair loss for 2 months in 24 year old

Yes, hair loss starts sometime and in your case, if it is genetic, it may have started just 2 months ago.  First, you should see a doctor. Your biggest enemy is the progressive nature of balding that comes about from genetic male patterned hair loss which is the most common type of hair loss that impact young men. What will happen in the next 5 or so years is probably that you will continue losing hair if you have genetic balding. Your hair may look ok now, but this is the time to meet with a good doctor who can make the correct diagnosis and start you on the drug finasteride, which is highly effective at stopping progressive balding and possibly reversing it in men of your age. Get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine where your present balding as of now, and then after you go on the medications, such measurements will tell if the treatment is working. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern which the Bulk Measurements will show over a one year time frame, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Sudden hair loss

It is essential that you see a hair restoration specialist to find out the cause of your hair loss. Once the diagnosis is made then the proper treatment option can be recommended. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss in 24 M

It would be important to see your scalp up close (or see photos). It's not possible to diagnose the cause of your hair loss otherwise. 

Hair loss, in excessive amounts can occur from dozens of different conditions. The three most common causes in a 24 year old male are early androgenetic alopecia, telogen effluvium, and alopecia areata. Many other causes are possible.

Please be sure to see a physician specializing in hair loss.