Does it sound like I still have a Infection after breast augmentation 3 weeks ago. Infection started a week after surgery.

Rt breast started getting red. Put on 2 different antibiotics. Augmentin & doxicyclin (sp?) 101 fever for a week finally went away. 1 spot of the redness fluid was draining. I decided 2 do the gauze and saline this weekend it helped & getting better. there is still a place that is red. My glands swollen & kinda hard 2 swallow. Literally drained & by the antibiotics. Does it sound like the infection is going away & heading in the right direction or could I still be fighting infection?

Infection

You should contact your plastic surgeon for answers to these questions.  If you have not responded favorably to oral antibiotics, you may wish to ask your surgeon about an infectious disease consultation for intravenous antibiotics.

Implant infection

An implant infection cannot be treated with antibiotics alone.  This sounds like the implant needs to be removed.

Infection Concerns

Hello,Because you report feeling generally unwell and have ongoing symptoms, I recommend that you continue to follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon. You may need further treatment.
All the best

Possible infection after Breast Augmentation

Unfortunately infection is a rare but possible complication after a breast enlargement like after any kind of surgery.Temperature,redness and discharge are all common signs of infection.Antibiotic therapy ,orally or in more serious cases i.v ,is the right thing to do but if the infection does not resolve quickly implant removal might become necessary. Breast implants are foreign bodies and if they become infected the antibiotic will not work and this is why is important recognize a possible infection and start antibiotic promptly.Hopefully in your case the infection is responding and you will be better soon.Good luckMr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

The rare infection after breast augmentation generally will require removal of the prosthesis.

If you indeed had an active infection removal of the prosthesis may be necessary for proper healing. It can be reinserted when inflammation from the infection is totally subsided. This would be a minimum of six weeks.

Possible infection following breast augmentation

While it is difficult to adequately assess your situation without examining you or seeing some pictures, your history and description of your breasts do suggest that you possibly developed an infection.  The time frame coincides with when these types of infection occur, and taking that in conjunction with redness, fever, drainage and swollen glands, it fits the picture.  I think your surgeon did the right thing by putting you on antibiotics, and it sounds like you are responding with your fever subsiding.  Your plastic surgeon would be best able to assess you to know if you are clearing the infection.  As long as there is still redness and drainage then we would typically keep patients on antibiotics or possibly start IV antibiotics if we think the infection is more severe.  If you have drainage, then cultures can also be taken to identify the organism to guide antibiotic therapy.  I would follow up with your surgeon closely and notify him right away of any changes in your condition.  Infection and bleeding are 2 of the most common risks of all surgery, breast augmentation especially.  They are complications we all try to avoid but it's impossible to completely eliminate the risk.  Best wishes.