Is it possible to have a tummy tuck scar placed far below the bikini line as to not show in underwear or baths suits? (Photo)

I've had a breast lift and reduction recently and am quite pleased. I'm now looking for a tummy tuck to remove excess skin from my waist and maybe lipo depending on cost. I'm concerned however the scar would be visible in a bikini, lingerie or underwear which is nearly a deal breaker for me. I'm working on losing the last 15 lbs and then I'll have the surgery. I'd like to be at my goal weight before I do. I'm currently 5'3 and 154 I want to get down to 140 maybe even 135.

Tummy tuck scar

Scars from tummy tuck are variable in their location. Some patients have scars from a C-section and optimally can have scars placed lower than the existing C-section scar. 
In my opinion patients who have generally laxity of skin in the abdomen do well with scars placed low enough to be hidden in the bikini line.
Achieving the right diet leading up to surgery is helpful to achieve your optimal post operative results.
As you look for your surgeon, consider a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of ASAPS.
Also consider a physician who has experience with no drain tummy tuck procedure.

Is it possible to have a tummy tuck scar placed far below the bikini line as to not show in underwear or baths suits?

Greetings. It is possible to have a tummy tuck scar placed below the bikini line. However, every situation is different and there are limitations as to how low the incision can be placed. In your situation, it would be best to consult with your plastic surgeon as to what would be appropriate for your situation. Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Tummy Tuck

Thanks for your question. It is important you find an experienced surgeon who specializes in achieving a low-scar line that can be covered by underwear or swimsuit bottoms. It is definitely possible to achieve the scar-line you seek. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Tummy tuck scar

Thanks for your question and photo.

I always ask my patients to wear a common sense underwear or bathing suit  to be marked in on the day of surgery. I plan the scar as low as possible to take into account the fact that  the pubic skin and the scar will rise up somewhat after surgery. I consider tummy tuck a "Pull me Push me" operation.

When planning low most patients will hide the scar well.

Best wishes to you.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

The good news is that I think it would be hard to find a board certified plastic surgeon that is not cognizant of where you, the patient, wants the scar. I always try to make a symmetrical, very low scar that will not be visible in a bikini or small pair of panties. Get to your goal weight and proceed with your tummy tuck. Best of luck!

Tummy Tuck and Scar Location

Thank you for your question and pictures.  A tummy tuck scar should always be planned with the patients panty's and bikini's in mind.  Patients can bring them on the day of surgery so they can be marked with the planned procedure. 

Brian Joseph, MD

Tummy tuck and scar location

Yes, most tummy tuck scars are placed low enough so that they are not visible following the procedure.   I generally ask patients to bring their favorite undergarments or bikini bottoms to the office on the day of vusgery so that we can ensure of scar location.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Bikini Tummy Tuck

Often unfortunately the tummy tuck incision is placed too high and not able to be covered by a bikini or small underwear. A good abdominoplasty will always have a low scar that can be well hidden. Often this is called an "Bikini Tummy Tuck". Please see a board certified plastic surgeon and ask for many pictures to see where he/she typically places the scar.

How low can the tummy tuck scar be?

Typically it is possible to put the tummy tuck incision low enough to be hidden by a bikini or lingerie.  I usually ask patients to bring in their favorite bikini bottom on the day of surgery so that we can design the incision low enough to be hidden by the bathing suit.  Obviously, this will not be possible in all patients, depending on the patient's figure and the type of bathing suit that she wishes to wear, but in general there is a fail amount of choice when it comes to the location of the scar.

Placement of abdominoplasty incision

The abdominoplasty incision is typically placed below the bikini line so the scar will not be seen in a bathing suit or underwear. This is a common concern, however your scar is customized to your body. Usually the more skin you have the longer the scar. However the height of the scar can be adjusted according to your desires. I would suggest bringing in your bikini and/or underwear to your consultation so your surgeon can see where you would like the incision. In my experience, once healed the incision scar is not a concern because my patients are thrilled with their flat bellies. In fact, I have never had a patient complain about their scars. I wish you the best of luck!