How will a 10-15lb weight loss affect my results after I have a Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I am scheduled to have a tummy tuck at the end of the month. In the nearly two years since my sons birth I have lost 50+lbs, I still have 10-15 more I would like to lose. I am trying to lose 5-10 pounds before my surgery. I am curious though, if I get down to 155 when I have my surgery and lose the remaining 10 to bring me within a healthy BMI am I going to undo the work my surgeon does? I intend to ask my surgeon but he is out of town for the next few weeks.

Weight loss before surgery

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss. I would recommend you to reach first your goal weight and keep it stable for a few months before surgery. This will help you achieve the best results from your surgery and also minimize the risks during and after surgery. Best of luck!

Do you need to lose weight?

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

Better to lose the weight

Hello. If you are having body contouring surgery it would be best to have completed your weight loss prior to your procedures. The most aesthetically pleasing results can be obtained after weight loss. 
DrBurnett#realself100

Tummy tuck and weight loss

Thanks for your question and congratulations on choosing a tummy tuck. You will do great and should have a great result in the right hands. Losing record 10 to 15 pounds afterwards will definitely 100% not affect your results. In fact your results will be even that much better. I always get that question on a daily basis and I show many patients who look amazing after my tummy tuck surgery and how they even look better with minima weight loss. Therefore be healthy and don't worry! Best wishes.

Not "undoing" but possible "affecting".

Thank you for your question. realistically, most of us have slight weight fluctuations. As a rule, the closer you are to your ideal weight, and the more stable you remain with that weight, the greater the chance that the outcome from your body contouring surgery will be long lasting. The one thing you can expect is that the tightest you will ever be is immediately after your surgery. From that point on things will loosen up again, and if you lose any significant amount of weight AFTER your surgery, you will loosen up a bit more that you would have if your weight remained stable. The bottom line is that you do not necessarily need to delay your surgery, but it you realistically feel you can accomplish your weight loss goals BEFORE surgery, this will more likely result in a more long standing result with which you will be pleased. 

Your surgery is entirely elective and you will be spending hard earned money on it. You want that investment to have the greatest return for you, meaning the best possible outcome with the result lasting as long as possible. Take this into account as you move forward with your plans. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

How will a 10-15lb weight loss affect my results after I have a TT?

Thank you for your question and congratulations  on your weight loss!  If you are that close to your ideal body weight losing the additional pounds after your procedure will not materially impact your results.  Though always advisable to be at your goal weight prior to surgery a natural fluctuation of 5-10% will not pose a risk of increased skin laxity or excess. Hope this helps.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Loosing an additional 10-15lbs after surgery should not affect your results.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Weight loss and TY

Thanks for your question. Congrats on the weight loss. The last ten pounds won't change you outcome in any significant way. With that said you will feel better and I would encourage you to do that as long as you loss it in a healthy way. 

Good luck. 

John S Mancoll, MD

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon