Replacing 20 year old implants. How do I know what size I want if I have no idea how many cc's my current implants are? (photos)

I had saline implants placed (submuscular) 20 years ago. At the time I was in my early 20's, an A cup and very thin. I would like to have my implants replaced with silicone, possibly subglandular. I have no information on how many cc's my current implants are. How do I decide what size my new implants should be? Also, how difficult is it when having submuscular implants removed and replaced with implants placed subglandular? Last part of my question, is will I need a lift as well?

Doctor Answers 3

Replacing 20 year old implants

One technique I have used which will help you and your surgeon to decide is to deflate the implants.  This can be done in the office with a little local anesthesia.  If your surgeon has a suction machine they can remove all the saline in your old implants and measure it.  It will allow your breast skin to contract somewhat so you can decide whether a lift is needed also if that may be a concern.  I only do it if your know you are going to proceed with removal of your implants.  There is no risk concerning the deflated breast implant being there until your definitive surgery. Obviously you can only do this if the implants are saline.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Redo breasts augmentation with a lift

Dear Seisner,   Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures , you appear to be small B cup size with level 2 ptosis (droopiness) and large areolas. Since your are quite symmetrical,  it is possible that both implants deflated.   In regard to implants's size selection, it depends on your breasts cup size desire and your breasts and chest measurement circumference. Since you did not provide your measurements and cup size desire, let's assume that you are currently 38 B cup size. To become a 38 D cup size ( will look natural for your body size), you will need 500 cc implants. (for 40 D - 625 cc ) If your implants are not totally deflated, your surgeon will have to aspirate the saline and measure the amount, which will have to be added to the 500 cc and figure out the true size of your implants.    Regardless of the implants size and pockets' location (I recommend to stay sub muscular ) you will need a mini lift (donut, Benneli) procedure with re positioning your nipple a little laterally in order to create a golden triangle  and attractive looking breasts. Additionally, you will need to have capsulotomy (scar release ) , to create room for the larger size implants.   Not all results are the same , because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligent carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.    Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of redo breasts augmentation in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking.                             Best of luck,                                              Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Revision breast surgery

Thank you for your questions about revision breast surgery. Your surgeon should be able to determine in the operating room the current size of your implants and replace them with a similar size device in silicone. It is not difficult to change from a sub muscular pocket to a subglandular pocket but does take some extra time in the operating room. By your photos it appears that you would benefit from a breast lift as well as removal of the excess skin on the lower outer part of your breasts that extends on to the side of your chest. To be sure, I recommend that you consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options. I hope this information is helpful. Best wishes!

Nicholas Tarola, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.