What type of rhinoplasty, if any, would help me the most? (Photo)

I've got a fairly large nose, and I've been researching what the best ways to handle it are. It seems rhinoplasty is the only way, so I'm considering getting a procedure done some time after I graduate. As I understand there are several types of rhinoplasty. Based off of these pics, which would help my nose look the most "normal?"

What type of rhinoplasty, if any, would help me the most?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Nasal reduction

I specialize in nasal reduction and can tell you that there are several ways to achieve this.  The cartilage of the nose will typically need to be adjusted to improve the appearance of your nose and we will likely want to reposition the bones as well.  Overall you'd expect a week in a cast and then several more days for swelling to improve.

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty advice

Thank you for your question and photos.  While a full examination would be necessary, based solely on your photos, I would recommend narrowing the middle and lower thirds of the nose with tip refinement.  I would recommend a small dorsal hump removal as well.  Care should be taken not to narrow the nasal bones or overly narrow the tip as this would not look good with the rest of your facial features.  I'd have to see standardized photos or you in person, but conservative alar reduction may also be beneficial.  See a rhinoplasty specialist who can give you a detailed examination and guide you through the process.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Your nose does appear to be a bit wide. Narrowing the nose and providing improvement in the tip is probably all that is necessary.

Rhinoplasty to narrow the bridge and tip

A closed rhinoplasty approach can address narrowing the wide nasal bones and narrowing of the tip.  There is thick skin present, which will be a limitation to seeing a very refined result in the tip of the nose.

Nose

I would perform a closed rhinoplasty on you to reduce the width and size of the nose but keeping it looking natural. 
Your tip needs refinement and the bridge needs reduction but not over-correction. You need a plastic surgeon with a proven track record for this type of surgery. 

Rajan Uppal, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

"Normal" is different for each individual

Hello. First of all, you have a nice looking nose. It is on the larger side as you said, but overall good shape. So "normal" really depends on what you want changed. Certainly, a rhinoplasty can be performed to decrease the overall size of the nose to make it less prominent. There are tons of techniques and specifics are not that relevant at this point. I would consult with one or two plastic surgeons, get their recommendations, and go from there.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD