Do I have gynecomastia? If so, how bad? (photos)

My breasts feel like they have a lot of small lumps or beads inside; my nipples feel thicker than they used to, and they look puffier. I often get swelling around my nipples, and sometimes I feel a slight itch around my nipples. My breasts often feel tingly, and I get a strong urge to squeeze them. If i do, sometimes my nipples get moist and sticky, but there is no visual fluid. I also sometimes feel electric shock like sensations in my breasts. Do i have gyno?

Doctor Answers 11

About the Types of Gynecomastia & Treatment Options

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person, is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia? If so, how bad?

 Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination.   Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful in some cases.
My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,499 reviews

Mild gynecomastia

Thank you for the photos.  It sounds like you may have a mild case of gynecomastia.  Surgery can safely give you a tight, flat, masculine chest.  Be sure to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tim Neavin, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia

If you do have gynecomastia it is mild. There are varying degrees of gynecomastia ranging from puffy nipple to severe breast enlargement and/or breast sag. The severity of the gynecomastia will determine which treatment option is necessary. In most cases, men suffer from standard gynecomastia, which can be surgically treated as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. For more severe cases, it may be recommended that you have your procedure under general anesthesia at an outpatient surgery center. Your consultation will determine which option is best suited for treating your gynecomastia.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 157 reviews


You may have gynecomastia that is leading to some puffiness under the nipple and areola complex. You might need direct excision of the tissue underneath the areola.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews


I appreciate your concern, but you have options. If you are under age 18, then it is best to try diet and exercise and wait, as the condition may improve or resolve by the time you reach 18, and/or the diet and exercise works.  If you are over 18, then it appears that you are a candidate for surgery if you tried diet and exercise, and it failed, and you are in good health and preferably a nonsmoker.  From your photos, it appears that liposuction may be all you need, but physical exam is needed.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon and read the article I wrote about gynecomastia linked below, as it might help your understanding and options.  Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia? If so, how bad?

I agree with my colleagues. Based on reviewing your photos it does appear you have some degree of gynecomastia. I am not sure about some of the symptoms you are having; however, I would agree that you need to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon that treats a moderate amount of gynecomastia patients. I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia?

How old are you? When did you go through puberty? Your symptomatology may be due to hormonal changes that accompany development. If your are (much) older, then I would consult a pediatrician or endocrinologist. Do you take any drugs or supplements? Finally, once a hormonal etiology is ruled out , a surgical plan an be devised. Hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Gynecomastia CT

It seems that you do have gynecomastia

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia? If so, how bad?

Thank you for your question.

It appears that you have some Gynecomastia looking at your photographs. The symptoms however seem to be much more than the degree of Gynecomastia. I would advise seeing an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon at your earliest

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 166 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.