Do I have gynecomastia? (photos)

I'm a 19 year old male and My breasts have a kind of full feeling which gives me an urge to squeeze them. If I do, sometimes my nipples get wet but there is no visual fluid. To my hands my breast feel soft and squishy but at the same time dense and firm. 2 strange feelings I get are they can feel like an erect penis or an empty stomach (they even sometimes "growl"?). Sometimes my nipples get itchy and my breasts feel sore. The problem is I don't feel any lumps; the tissue is the same throughout

About Gynecomastia

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. A board certified Plastic Surgeon will recommend the best one suited for you during a one-on-one, in-person consultation.

Gynecomastia

It appears from your picture that you have a significant amount of glandular tissue, which can be excised. This is done through an incision around the bottom aspect of the areola at the pigment change is virtually invisible after healing. You will notice a dramatic change after the procedure. Make sure you see and plastic surgeon with experience in this area. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you do

You are a candidate to open glandulectomy (no liposuction, please) and nipples reduction (eventually areolas too).

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

males have some breast tissue as well as women.

The photographs are not revealing but it's possible you have a small amount of gynecomastia. If symptoms are persistent and bothersome enough surgical excision will probably be necessary. You can aggravate the situation by irritating the areola.

Do I have gynecomastia?

Based on the description of your symptoms, and the third picture, yes it spears you do have gynecomastia.

And if you do, then the question is why and of what type?

Certainly it deserves an examination and evaluation.

Hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS