Deflation of saline breast implants by a doctor - Can they be deflated immediately or does the deflation take days/weeks?

I have had saline breast implants, under the muscle, for 15 years. I have not had any issues with them. I am simply tired of how big they are. I know I want them removed but assume I will need a lift and maybe more. I would though like to have them deflated before making decisions. I have read conflicting information online---some info states implants can be fully deflated in an office visit and other info states it can be a slow process. What are the facts? Thanks!!

Implant Deflation

It is an quick and easy procedure to remove the saline in order to get a better and more accurate assessment of whether you will need a breast lift or not.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Your saline implants can be deflated in your plastic surgeons office by removing most, if not all of the fluid.  Once they are deflated, they cannot be re-inflated.  After having your implants deflated, let your tissue adjust several weeks.  You will be able to determine if you need a lift at that time. Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Deflating saline implants

Thank you for your excellent question.  I have done this before in the office by removing all of the saline via aspirating it through a syringe.  It is a painless procedure & the implants deflate immediately.  Allow your breasts to settle for a few weeks & this will give you a very good idea of how you will look with your implants out.  Most women are surprised at how good their breasts look & many don't require a lift.  All the very best.  Kim

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Saline breast implant deflation

Deflation of saline breast implants can be in minutes or days depending on technique. Once done cannot be reinflated. If you had gained weight, this is a quick fix, also during pregnancy, the breasts can engorge and a quick deflation can sometimes give immediate relief. Good luck 

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Deflating implants

I have done this on occasion for patients.  Often the implants can be deflated almost completely and it is immediate.  

In general, it takes minutes to hours for the implant to deflate completely.  This way you can see how your breast will recovery from implant removal, and see if you need a lift.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD