I'm opting for restylane fillers under my eyes. I have a green vein underneath my left eye. Will it cause a problem? (Photo)

Is it safe to get the dermal under eye filler despite this vein? Could it get damaged? Or is it safe to do so? Is a dermal filler my best option?

I’m opting for Restylane under my eyes. I have a green vein…

Thank you for sharing your question. When filler injected with a needle, veins like the one you have pointed out can be problematic if punctured, resulting in a bruise. In my practice, I prefer to use the microcannula technique, which uses only one needle stick on each side to access the entire tear trough area with a blunt tipped cannula. My patients have had excellent outcomes with this technique for tear trough fillers with little/no pain or bruising. If you are concerned about the vein interfering with your treatment, I strongly recommend consulting with a board-certified specialist who is experienced with the microcannula technique. Best of luck. 

Restylane injection and periorbital veins

The only risk I see is that of bruising and this should be minimal given that the vein will be clearly visible to the injector. On a side note, the vein could be easily treated with a vascular laser such as the Excel V. Good luck with your injection. 

HA filler for hollow lower orbit / cheek with prominent vein

Dear NumNumz:

Thanks for sharing your photos. 

Properly performed, a visible vein will not be injected. The vein appears "green" due to the surrounding yellow fat around a bluish vessel.

There are caveats to discuss with your injector:
  1. Superficial hyaluronic acid (HA) filler can create a bluish tyndall effect
  2. Deeper HA filler injection may push on the vein from below and make it more projecting. 
  3. Consider using a opaque, deep filler such as Radiesse.

Choose a well experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for injection. 

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Restylane and tear trough

Restylane is a good choice as is Belotero for under the eyes. Choose a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is experienced in injecting this area and you should have no problem

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Vein under eyes and filler injections

Because this vein is visible, it can likely be avoided by your injector.  I would recommend cannula injections instead of needle to this area. This will reduce your risk of bruising or side effects.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane

It should not be a problem at all.  Many patients have very prominent periorbital veins (veins around the eye). Any experienced injector shouldn't have a problem avoiding them. 

Another option to consider is simply getting rid of that vein! you can do it very easily with a vascular laser.  I personally really like the Excel V from cutera.  Obviously only do it if it really bothers you, but realize you do have options there too!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fix both the tear troughs and the green/blue vein

Restylane blended with xylocaine, which helps it flow better, is our favorite under eye filler. Why not also shrink the green/ blue colored vein while you are at it? It will look so much better. The long pulsed Nd:YAG laser is the treatment of choice for these unsightly veins. One to 3 treatments are usually needed and the veins usually collapse and don't ever return and the treatment barely hurts. Be sure to select a laser expert for your treatment, especially around the eye. Good luck!

Jeffrey Dover, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Will dermal fillers work, what's the best filler, will my prominent blood vessel be an issue?

Thank you for sharing your questions. Restylane is the best filler for the tear troughs. When performed properly by an experienced injector, the vessel will be avoided. I hope this helps.
Good luck,