Regaine foam for hairline

I know regaine foam is used for hair loss but my HT surgeon told me it doesn't work for the hairline Is this correct.

Hair loss is faster at the frontal hairline than at the crown, a possible factor why minoxidil doesn't work as well in front

Thank you for your question. You are asking if Rogaine or Regaine foam, or minoxidil, can help frontal hairline hair loss. You share that your hair transplant surgeon says minoxidil doesn't help with the frontal hairline, so you want to know if that's true.

I can guide you on how I counsel our patients regarding Rogaine, Regaine, or any other minoxidil derivative solution or foam in our practice. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon in practice in Manhattan Long Island for over 20 years. I'm the founder of TrichoStem Hair Regeneration Centers, which is non-surgical hair restoration treatment we have become very well known for and has helped over 99% of men and women who have come to us with genetic pattern hair loss from all over the world.

To settle this question about the effectiveness of minoxidil, studies done emphasized it appears to have greater benefit in the crown area. However, we still don’t fully understand the mechanism of how minoxidil works for hair loss. We have gotten feedback from some people that it did help them in their frontal hairline. There’s going to be a lot of variability, but you have to understand that genetic pattern loss affects the entire scalp. It’s expressed differently - some people have more of frontal recession. The basis for your hair transplant doctor to say it doesn't really work is that for men who are losing hair from the front, the hairline often recedes very quickly, so they don't seem to benefit.  Men who have a crown focused hair loss pattern seem to diminish slower, so they may have more time to get benefit, so it is on a case-by-case basis.

In our practice, we developed our own Hair Regeneration technology using Acellular matrix, a material for wound healing, combined with platelet-rich plasma. PRP is derived from your own blood, and is a concentration of wound healing factors. We use this in a series of injections in one treatment session into the scalp to help people reactivate hair that's not been growing, which is what you're trying to do with topical minoxidil. We are also able to stop progression of hair loss which you cannot do with topical minoxidil, and induce the shedding of thinning hair so growth of thicker hair can come in.

When patients come to us and have this treatment, they’ll often asked after if they should still use minoxidil, and generally we tell them no. After about a month or so, you don’t have to use minoxidil anymore because your hair is no longer thinning. This is a very big deal when it comes to the different options there for hair loss treatment.

I think in your case, with the absence of any photos, there isn’t any harm in using Rogaine, but your hair transplant surgeon’s point may be you’re better off getting a hair transplant because if there’s not much hair there, it will not make much a difference anyway.

That said, I think you have to get a sense of your trajectory. We’ve been doing hair transplants for decades, and one of the most frustrating things is keeping up with someone’s progression of hair loss. Hair Regeneration helped us change the whole story. If a person comes to us, even if they’re a good candidate for transplant, we first recommend Hair Regeneration, but we stop the progression.You can be using minoxidil, and even if you are responsive it’s not going to stop progression and will continue to lose hair. The same does apply to finasteride, which can slow down progression considerably, but it will not stop it.

That said, have this discussion with your hair transplant doctor. Often a hair transplant specialist tend not to manage people long-term for hair loss, but are more focused on the individual surgical procedure where the patient comes for a transplant, they get a transplant, they are managed post-operatively, then they don't see the patient again until they have another transplant. Often, hair transplant doctors don't have as much day-to-day management experience of these types of issues because they focus on surgery. From my perspective, there's no harm there’s an opportunity for you to learn more about the technology of Hair Regeneration, but understand all of this in the context of your pattern and your progression. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Rogaine for my hairline

Rogaine (Minoxidil) does not work well at the frontal hairline. It works better in the top and crown of the scalp. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon